    Lex Williams Guest

    Does ruby have a debugger with the capability of steping back , so that
    I may see where "trouble" occurs ?
    Lex Williams, Sep 18, 2008

    On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 6:48 AM, Lex Williams <> wrote:

    > Does ruby have a debugger with the capability of steping back , so that
    > I may see where "trouble" occurs ?

    If by stepping back you mean "undoing" execution, then no. In general, I
    dont think that it's possible
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reversible_computing

    You can of course see the invocation stack to see how you got 'here', in
    rdebug thats the where command.

    --
    Rick DeNatale

    My blog on Ruby
    http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/
    Rick DeNatale, Sep 18, 2008

  3. Flaming Flamingo, Sep 18, 2008
  4. Lex Williams

    Lex Williams Guest

    Flaming Flamingo wrote:
    > What debuggers do you use?
    >
    > cheers,
    > FF

    ruby -rdebug

    I figured that maybe ruby has a debugger that could step back in time ,
    but I think I was wrong .
    Lex Williams, Sep 18, 2008
  5. On Sep 18, 7:39=A0am, Lex Williams <> wrote:
    > Flaming Flamingo wrote:
    > > What debuggers do you use?

    > > cheers,
    > > FF

    > ruby -rdebug
    >
    > I figured that maybe ruby has a debugger that could step back in time ,
    > but I think I was wrong .

    I wonder if it will be possible in Maglev. :)

    Dan
    Daniel Berger, Sep 18, 2008
  6. Lex Williams

    Lex Williams Guest

    steping back in time would be a great feature for the debugger to have.
    I'm sure it would greatly reduce debugging time .
    Lex Williams, Sep 18, 2008
  7. In Ruby In Steel you can navigate the call stack. This lets you
    backtrack through the method calls leading to the current breakpoint (or
    you can 'unwind' multiple recursive calls) and view the values of
    variables at that point in the call stack... similarly, you can move to
    any other point (forward and backward, wind and rewind) in the stack.

    You can watch a short screencast to show this in action here:

    http://www.sapphiresteel.com/static/movies/debug-1/debugger-intro.html

    best wishes
    Huw Collingbourne

    SapphireSteel Software
    Ruby and Rails In Visual Studio
    http://www.sapphiresteel.com
    Huw Collingbourne, Sep 18, 2008
  8. Lex Williams

    Lex Williams Guest

    Lex Williams, Sep 18, 2008
  9. [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

    On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 10:27 AM, Lex Williams <> wrote:

    > steping back in time would be a great feature for the debugger to have.
    > I'm sure it would greatly reduce debugging time .

    There are a few specialized debuggers which allow time-travel to one degree
    or another.

    However, to do this they need to save lots of information every time the
    program 'steps' whether you are stepping through the program with the
    debugger or just letting it run. I'm not sure I'd want to endure the
    overhead until I really needed it.

    Here's a link to someone at Cisco who extended Eclipse to allow such
    temporal debugging using a complete system simulation for an embedded
    system:

    http://www.danbourque.com/home

    And here's a google video of Bil Lewis demonstrating his "Omniscient
    Debugger" for Java.

    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3897010229726822034&hl=en

    Rick DeNatale, Sep 18, 2008