    now? Please help.

    Thank you.
    , Jul 30, 2005

  2. benben Guest

    > Hi, I am trying to debug a C++ program using Microsoft VC++ IDE. The
    > program loads a dynamic link library (dll) and later makes calls to
    > functions inside this dll. I want to step inside the code of this dll.
    > Is that possible to do? Because currently what is happening is, even if
    > I try to step inside the function in the dll (by F11 key), it is
    > stepping over the whole function (like F10 does).
    >
    > How can I step inside the dll code? Am I doing something incorrectly
    > now? Please help.
    >
    > Thank you.

    Suggestion:
    1. Make sure you use debug build for the DLL
    2. Set a breakpoint in the DLL function you would like to step

    Better suggestion:
    Post it to microsoft.public.vc.language or other vc specific newsgroups and
    get experts to help.

    Ben
    benben, Jul 30, 2005

  3. Ken Wilson Guest

    On 29 Jul 2005 23:48:28 -0700, did courageously
    avow:

    >Hi, I am trying to debug a C++ program using Microsoft VC++ IDE. The
    >program loads a dynamic link library (dll) and later makes calls to
    >functions inside this dll. I want to step inside the code of this dll.
    >Is that possible to do? Because currently what is happening is, even if
    >I try to step inside the function in the dll (by F11 key), it is
    >stepping over the whole function (like F10 does).
    >
    >How can I step inside the dll code? Am I doing something incorrectly
    >now? Please help.
    >
    >Thank you.

    Unless it is a debug version I'm not so sure you can step inside it.
    Even then, it may require you to have source available so that it can
    step through the code as well.

    You will probably get jumped once or twice about this not being the
    appropriate forum. It is intended for pure C++ and people do not
    usually answer or discuss questions that are compiler or OS specific
    of which you are guilty of both. ;-)

    You may find a more suitable answer, or more correct even, by checking
    out some of the Microsoft specific newsgroups.

    Ken Wilson
    "Coding, coding, over the bounding main()"
    Ken Wilson, Jul 30, 2005
  4. adbarnet Guest

    In the ms IDE debug options you can specify "Load Additional Dll" - as long
    as you have the debug symbols available with the binary it will let you step
    in as usual - search the msvc help on loading additional dll's

    http://www.usenet.com
    adbarnet, Jul 31, 2005