Still it DOES NOT WORK

Guest

Refer to my message "HELP - HELP - HELP" today.

When setting the data connection, I specify "Windows authentication".

I tried to create a user with full permissions and include user id and
password in the connection string: DOES NOT WORK (viewing in browser).

An SqlException is thrown that there is no permission to access the table.

My question is that simple: how to handle permission issues to have my
ASP.NET application running locally. Cannot find a solution since yesterday.

darrel

Refer to my message "HELP - HELP - HELP" today.

Some tips:

- put something meaningful in your subject line 'help' and 'does not work'
are meaningless

- if you are referring to a thread you already started, it probably makes
sense
to reply to that thread that you had already started instead of making
another one.
When setting the data connection, I specify "Windows authentication".

I tried to create a user with full permissions and include user id and
password in the connection string: DOES NOT WORK (viewing in browser).

An SqlException is thrown that there is no permission to access the table.

Did you actually set up a user in MSSQL with the same username and password
as the one in the connection string?

Usually, at least for me, I create separate users (usually a EDIT user and a
VIEW user with different permissions) in the SQL database and pass those
specific permissions from the connection string.

-Darrel

Marina Levit [MVP]

In addition to what darrel said, clearly the user does not have full
permissions if the user cannot access that table. You need to go and give
that SQL user the appropriate permissions.

Guest

I think the important thing here is the problem and NOT the second thread.
And the problem stil remains. Here is the error message:

SELECT permission denied on object 'Stocks', database 'EzMarket', schema 'dbo'

(Stocks is the table name). I created a user with full permisions on the
database and its tables, but still cannot come around the problem. Any help?

Guest

The important thing here is the problem and NOT that I used a second thread.
And the problem remains. Here is the error message:

SELECT permission denied on object 'Stocks', database 'EzMarket', schema
'dbo'.

Can anybody tell me what should the connection string (in Web.config)
include? I am VERY confused.

Bruce Barker

in the connect string username and password are for standard security only.
if you specify windows authentication, then the thread idenity is used. to
use windows authenication specify user and password in the web config, or
set identity on the app pool.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Kevin Spencer

Actually, you have 2 problems. The second of the two is getting as many good
answers (replies) to your question as possible.While you only seem to be
aware of the first, solving the second will help solve the first, and not
solving the second will hinder the solving of the first. Remember that all
help given here is given voluntarily. The more you help the helpers, the
more they will be willing and able to help you.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP