Still need help with radio button

Darth Ferret

Unfortunately this is not a standard web site form. We work through a web
hosting company that supplies a piece of front end software that does many
forms handling chores including handling our issues management and
automatically emailing whoever I put in a list of contacts, etc. I can
create and upload a
new type of customer form very easily - but I really DO have to give the
radio buttons different names. I cannot use a group.

Whether this is good or bad it's what I have to work with, and I'm pulling
my hair out coming up with a simple function to uncheck radio button q1a if
radio button q1 is clicked.

I'm trying variations of "!myform.q1a.checked=false;" but I'm getting an
error in dreamweaver that I have a syntax error in this statement; but no
help as to what is wrong with it.

!myform.q1.value works fine in another function where where I am able to
check for
missing fields when the submit button is clicked.

Thanks for the help,
Joe in Florida

Steve Pugh

Darth Ferret said:
Unfortunately this is not a standard web site form. We work through a web
hosting company that supplies a piece of front end software that does many
forms handling chores including handling our issues management and
automatically emailing whoever I put in a list of contacts, etc. I can
create and upload a
new type of customer form very easily - but I really DO have to give the
radio buttons different names. I cannot use a group.

Have you spoken to them about this?
Have you asked them why they are using such a bizarre system?

You can always move to a better web host. If your current one can't
even handle basic forms properly who knows what else they might be
getting wrong.
Whether this is good or bad it's what I have to work with, and I'm pulling
my hair out coming up with a simple function to uncheck radio button q1a if
radio button q1 is clicked.

No function you create client side will work for all users.
How will users with JS disabled use your form?
I'm trying variations of "!myform.q1a.checked=false;" but I'm getting an
error in dreamweaver that I have a syntax error in this statement; but no
help as to what is wrong with it.

!myform.q1a refers to the group of radio buttons named q1a. Even if
that group only contains one radio button.

!myform.q1a[0] refers to the first radio button in the group.

I'm not sure whether using ! in the name of the form is a good idea.
It seems to be allowed, but it makes me slighty uneasy - I wouldn't be
surprised if it can cause problems under some circumstances.

Steve