Still on applet versus applications

Stefano Falconetti

Hi all,

what do you suggest now that java is at the version 1.4.x to distribute
an application? As applet, as application, as an application with java
web start ? What do you suggest me about ?

Thanks all !

Stefano.

Miguel De Anda

Stefano Falconetti said:
Hi all,

what do you suggest now that java is at the version 1.4.x to distribute
an application? As applet, as application, as an application with java
web start ? What do you suggest me about ?

Thanks all !

Stefano.

If its going to be a text ticker, it should be an applet. If its going to be
a full blown word processor, then an application is the way to go. The
application can be in the form of webstart or not. Hope this helps.

Miguel.

Miguel De Anda

Stefano said:
Thank you !

However... I have seen a few pretty impressive applets. Do a search for
"pit command nascar", they seem to have done a pretty cool applet that
displays tons of live nascar data.

Tim Tyler

Miguel De Anda said:
However... I have seen a few pretty impressive applets. Do a search for
"pit command nascar", they seem to have done a pretty cool applet that
displays tons of live nascar data.

They seem to want complete access to your machine to do it, though.

I thought "stuff that" - and said "no" - but apparently the applet
launched anyway.

A hole in the 1.4.2 beta security framework, perhaps? :-(