    Thanks in advance all

    - Christopher Diggins
    http://www.heron-language.com

    christopher diggins, Nov 6, 2004

  2. "christopher diggins" <> wrote in message
    >I am looking for any free libraries which provide a wrapper around or are
    >an alternative to the STL. I am familiar with Boost and STLSoft. Would
    >anyone be able to provide other alternatives?
    >
    > Specifically I am most interested in libraries which have the
    > functionality of the STL but are easier to learn for beginners.

    I honestly think you would be better off learning the STL. Given that the
    STL is free and standard I think it's pretty much wiped the floor with any
    competition. What aspect of it are you having difficultly with?

    John

    John Harrison, Nov 6, 2004

  3. christopher diggins

    Alan Sung Guest

    > I am looking for any free libraries which provide a wrapper around or are

    an
    > alternative to the STL. I am familiar with Boost and STLSoft. Would anyone
    > be able to provide other alternatives?
    >
    > Specifically I am most interested in libraries which have the

    functionality
    > of the STL but are easier to learn for beginners.
    >
    > Thanks in advance all
    >
    > - Christopher Diggins
    > http://www.heron-language.com

    If you are on Windows, then you could just use the MFC (Microsoft Foundation
    Classes) which would be adequate for beginner learning. Sort of depends upon
    what you are teaching.

    -al sung
    Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
    Hopkinton, MA

    Alan Sung, Nov 6, 2004
  4. "christopher diggins" <> wrote in message
    > I am looking for any free libraries which provide a wrapper around or are an
    > alternative to the STL. I am familiar with Boost and STLSoft. Would anyone
    > be able to provide other alternatives?
    >
    > Specifically I am most interested in libraries which have the functionality
    > of the STL but are easier to learn for beginners.

    Fancy meeting you here!

    Here are two alternative container libraries. I'm not sure whether they meet
    your requirements, but you might take a look at them:

    Nonstandard Template Library (NTL) -- http://www.ntllib.org/index.html

    Trolltech Generic Containers -- http://doc.trolltech.com/4.0/containers.html

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Turkanis, Nov 6, 2004
  5. christopher diggins wrote:
    > I am looking for any free libraries which provide a wrapper around or are an
    > alternative to the STL. I am familiar with Boost and STLSoft. Would anyone
    > be able to provide other alternatives?
    >
    > Specifically I am most interested in libraries which have the functionality
    > of the STL but are easier to learn for beginners.
    >
    > Thanks in advance all

    What do you think needs to be easier ?

    The Mariani simplicity/complexity proposition: There exists a minimum
    complexity when modelling multiple interactive systems.

    Lemma 1. When modelling interactions between multiple systems, there
    exists a minimum level of complexity of the interfaces where the overall
    complexity of the entire system is also minimal.

    In other words, if you make your interfaces too simple, your overall
    solution is more complex.

    Gianni Mariani, Nov 6, 2004
  6. "John Harrison" <> wrote in message

    > "christopher diggins" <> wrote in message
    >>I am looking for any free libraries which provide a wrapper around or are
    >>an alternative to the STL. I am familiar with Boost and STLSoft. Would
    >>anyone be able to provide other alternatives?
    >>
    >> Specifically I am most interested in libraries which have the
    >> functionality of the STL but are easier to learn for beginners.
    >>

    > I honestly think you would be better off learning the STL. Given that the
    > STL is free and standard I think it's pretty much wiped the floor with any
    > competition. What aspect of it are you having difficultly with?
    >
    > John

    Thanks for the offer of help John. I am actually very familiar with the STL,
    and I am looking into developing an object-oriented wrapper libray for
    people who desire a less intimidating and more "high-level" library.

    What frustrates me is that we have a lot of developers using primitive
    scripting languages because they are supposedly more "high-level" than C++.
    I figured if I could make available a simpler and more object-oriented
    wrapper around the Boost and STL then maybe we could put an end to the whole
    idea that you need an "agile language" to develop software quickly and
    easily.

    Christopher Diggins
    http://www.cdiggins.com

    christopher diggins, Nov 6, 2004
  7. "Jonathan Turkanis" <> wrote in message

    > "christopher diggins" <> wrote in message
    >> I am looking for any free libraries which provide a wrapper around or are
    >> an
    >> alternative to the STL. I am familiar with Boost and STLSoft. Would
    >> anyone
    >> be able to provide other alternatives?
    >>
    >> Specifically I am most interested in libraries which have the
    >> functionality
    >> of the STL but are easier to learn for beginners.
    >>

    > Fancy meeting you here!

    lol

    > Here are two alternative container libraries. I'm not sure whether they
    > meet
    > your requirements, but you might take a look at them:
    >
    > Nonstandard Template Library (NTL) -- http://www.ntllib.org/index.html
    >
    > Trolltech Generic Containers --
    > http://doc.trolltech.com/4.0/containers.html
    >
    > Jonathan

    Hi Jonathan!

    Thanks for the links they do definitely help. I wanted to get a good
    overview of what is available before I continue with my latest crazy
    project. I am looking into use your interfaces classes to implement a set of
    efficient object-oriented wrappers around the STL and primitives types.
    Essentially I want a more Java style library interface. I am trying to
    relight the C++ torch. I'll keep you posted as to how things progress.

    - Christopher

    christopher diggins, Nov 6, 2004
  8. "Gianni Mariani" <> wrote in message
    > christopher diggins wrote:
    >> I am looking for any free libraries which provide a wrapper around or are
    >> an alternative to the STL. I am familiar with Boost and STLSoft. Would
    >> anyone be able to provide other alternatives?
    >>
    >> Specifically I am most interested in libraries which have the
    >> functionality of the STL but are easier to learn for beginners.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance all

    > What do you think needs to be easier ?

    I just know that the STL does inspire fear and loathing in the uninitiated.
    I figure it would be nice to have a polymorphic iterator type. Next there
    could probably be more and better defaults, so fewer decisions have to be
    made by the programmer. Also it would be nice to have more specializations
    which have better performance properties for specific types.

    > The Mariani simplicity/complexity proposition: There exists a minimum
    > complexity when modelling multiple interactive systems.
    >
    > Lemma 1. When modelling interactions between multiple systems, there
    > exists a minimum level of complexity of the interfaces where the overall
    > complexity of the entire system is also minimal.
    >
    > In other words, if you make your interfaces too simple, your overall
    > solution is more complex.

    I am familiar with the theory but the STL does not represent a system of
    minimal comlexity. It's design goals were primarily efficiency and
    genericity.

    Christopher Diggins
    http://www.cdiggins.com

    christopher diggins, Nov 6, 2004
  9. "Alan Sung" <> wrote in message
    > If you are on Windows, then you could just use the MFC (Microsoft
    > Foundation
    > Classes) which would be adequate for beginner learning. Sort of depends
    > upon
    > what you are teaching.

    Thanks for the suggestion.

    - Christopher Diggins

    christopher diggins, Nov 6, 2004
  10. christopher diggins wrote:

    >>What do you think needs to be easier ?

    > I just know that the STL does inspire fear and loathing in the uninitiated.
    > I figure it would be nice to have a polymorphic iterator type. Next there
    > could probably be more and better defaults, so fewer decisions have to be
    > made by the programmer. Also it would be nice to have more specializations
    > which have better performance properties for specific types.

    By polymorphic iterator, do you mean somthing like:

    template <typename T>
    struct iterator_thing : reference_countable
    {
    virtual T & operator*() = 0;
    // .... plus others
    };

    template <typename T>
    struct any_iterator
    {
    smart_Ptr< iterator_thing<T> > m_iterator;
    virtual T & operator*()
    {
    return **m_iterator;
    }
    // .... plus others
    };

    any_iterator<Foo> iter = my_map.begin();

    Which defaults are you thinking about ?

    Which specializations are you thinking about ?

    >>In other words, if you make your interfaces too simple, your overall
    >>solution is more complex.

    > I am familiar with the theory but the STL does not represent a system of
    > minimal comlexity. It's design goals were primarily efficiency and
    > genericity.

    Don't we have to compare it to somthing else before we can make
    assertions of minimal complexity ?

    Gianni Mariani, Nov 6, 2004
  11. christopher diggins

    Cy Edmunds Guest

    > "John Harrison" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "christopher diggins" <> wrote in message
    >>>I am looking for any free libraries which provide a wrapper around or are
    >>>an alternative to the STL. I am familiar with Boost and STLSoft. Would
    >>>anyone be able to provide other alternatives?
    >>>
    >>> Specifically I am most interested in libraries which have the
    >>> functionality of the STL but are easier to learn for beginners.
    >>>

    >> I honestly think you would be better off learning the STL. Given that the
    >> STL is free and standard I think it's pretty much wiped the floor with
    >> any competition. What aspect of it are you having difficultly with?
    >>
    >> John

    > Thanks for the offer of help John. I am actually very familiar with the
    > STL, and I am looking into developing an object-oriented wrapper libray
    > for people who desire a less intimidating and more "high-level" library.
    >
    > What frustrates me is that we have a lot of developers using primitive
    > scripting languages because they are supposedly more "high-level" than
    > C++. I figured if I could make available a simpler and more
    > object-oriented wrapper around the Boost and STL then maybe we could put
    > an end to the whole idea that you need an "agile language" to develop
    > software quickly and easily.
    >
    > Christopher Diggins
    > http://www.cdiggins.com

    I agree with John that the STL is really your best C++ alternative. But it
    certainly doesn't make C++ what I would call "agile". For agility I would
    suggest a good scripting language such as Python. Of course Python is slow
    during execution which is why I use both languages.

    --
    Cy
    http://home.rochester.rr.com/cyhome/

    Cy Edmunds, Nov 6, 2004