    Is there any way to view the classes and methods and their descriptions
    of the standard c++ libraries like the java api docs that sun hosts on
    its website?

    michael, Dec 10, 2004

  2. "michael" <> wrote...
    > Is there any way to view the classes and methods and their descriptions
    > of the standard c++ libraries like the java api docs that sun hosts on
    > its website?

    If such ability exists, it would be in a tool you're using, not in the
    language itself. MS Visual Studio, for example, has that ability. But
    it's not a feature of the language and as such OT here, sorry.

    Victor Bazarov, Dec 10, 2004

  3. * Victor Bazarov:
    > "michael" <> wrote...
    > > Is there any way to view the classes and methods and their descriptions
    > > of the standard c++ libraries like the java api docs that sun hosts on
    > > its website?

    > If such ability exists, it would be in a tool you're using, not in the
    > language itself. MS Visual Studio, for example, has that ability. But
    > it's not a feature of the language and as such OT here, sorry.

    I disagree, and I think this is in the FAQ somewhere.

    There are many websites that offer what the OP requests.

    Perhaps the most well-known and also most reliable is Dinkumware's,
    currently at <url: http://www.dinkumware.com/refxcpp.html>. Also, MSDN
    is extensive, but does not clearly differentiate between what's standard
    and what's Microsoft, <url: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library>. And
    although probably a bit dated and certainly a bit more than what's now
    standard in C++, <url: http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/>; ditto the
    seemingly aborted effort at <url: http://www.cplusplus.com/ref/#libs>;
    I don't know if there's documentation with StlPort but that's also a
    possibility, <url: http://www.stlport.org/download.html>.

    Then there is, of course, the definitive reference, the C++ _standard_,
    which however costs $18 or something, available in PDF format from ISO
    (C++ has a standard but no free definitive reference, Java has no
    standard but a free and time-varying reference).

    If $18 sounds prohibitive (e.g., I have some in-principle objections to
    paying for the standard), then the pre-standard second committee draft,
    the "CD2", is available from a number of sources, including Bjarne
    Stroustrup's home pages. It can be supplemented with the official
    revisions lists, also free. For the dedicated FreeCyber hacker the
    official standard is also free on the net, but using that is illegal.

    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is it such a bad thing?

    Alf P. Steinbach, Dec 10, 2004
  4. michael

    James Rafter Guest

    michael wrote:
    > Is there any way to view the classes and methods and their

    descriptions
    > of the standard c++ libraries like the java api docs that sun hosts

    on
    > its website?

    Search this group for "library documentation" for a recent thread on
    this.

    JR

    James Rafter, Dec 10, 2004
  5. "Alf P. Steinbach" <> wrote...
    >* Victor Bazarov:
    >> "michael" <> wrote...
    >> > Is there any way to view the classes and methods and their descriptions
    >> > of the standard c++ libraries like the java api docs that sun hosts on
    >> > its website?

    >> If such ability exists, it would be in a tool you're using, not in the
    >> language itself. MS Visual Studio, for example, has that ability. But
    >> it's not a feature of the language and as such OT here, sorry.

    > I disagree, and I think this is in the FAQ somewhere.
    >
    > There are many websites that offer what the OP requests.
    > [...]

    OK, OK, I misunderstood. I thought the request was for browsing the
    source written by the programmer.

    You're correct, plenty of documentation web sites.

    Victor Bazarov, Dec 10, 2004
  6. michael

    michael Guest

    thanks for all of your help. it's kind of frustrating not knowing
    what's really available for me to use in the c++ libraries. sun's docs
    should be the standard for this kind of thing. anyway, thanks again.

    michael, Dec 10, 2004
  7. michael

    Default User Guest

    michael wrote:

    > thanks for all of your help. it's kind of frustrating not knowing
    > what's really available for me to use in the c++ libraries. sun's docs
    > should be the standard for this kind of thing.

    That's a curious opinion. Why should Sun's documents be the standard
    for anything to do with C++? Especially as there is a standard.

    Are you confusing C++ and Java? Java was largely created by Sun. As far
    as I know they little to do with developing anything in C++.

    Brian

    Default User, Dec 10, 2004
  8. michael

    michael Guest

    i was simply stating that the way sun documents its apis should be the
    way other languages do. i said nothing of the actual implementation of
    the apis.

    michael, Dec 11, 2004