    efficient. Or list? What is a deque? I'd like to learn when to use which
    container. Can someone recommend a good book on this?

    Thanks!

    Markus Dehmann, May 22, 2005

  2. On 2005-05-22, Markus Dehmann <> wrote:
    > Is there a good book on STL containers and how to use the STL efficiently,
    > in general?
    >
    > I often don't know if a map, hash_map (not STL?), or vector would be more
    > efficient. Or list? What is a deque? I'd like to learn when to use which
    > container. Can someone recommend a good book on this?

    Accelerated C++ is somewhat introductory, but it's certainly worth a read. Good
    coverage of the basics. Effective STL (Meyers) is also a good one -- covers all
    the little ins and outs of the library.
    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

    Donovan Rebbechi, May 22, 2005

  3. Markus Dehmann

    ShaneG Guest

    Markus Dehmann wrote:
    > Is there a good book on STL containers and how to use the STL

    efficiently,
    > in general?
    >
    > I often don't know if a map, hash_map (not STL?), or vector would be

    more
    > efficient. Or list? What is a deque? I'd like to learn when to use

    which
    > container. Can someone recommend a good book on this?
    >
    > Thanks!

    I'd recommend "The C++ Standard Library: A Tutorial and Reference" by
    Nicolai M. Josuttis.

    ShaneG, May 22, 2005
  4. Markus Dehmann

    Rapscallion Guest

    Rapscallion, May 22, 2005
  5. Markus Dehmann

    Jerry Coffin Guest

    Markus Dehmann wrote:
    > Is there a good book on STL containers and how to use the STL
    > efficiently, in general?
    >
    > I often don't know if a map, hash_map (not STL?), or vector would
    > be more efficient. Or list? What is a deque? I'd like to learn
    > when to use which container. Can someone recommend a good book on
    > this?

    I see somebody has already mentioned Josuttis's book, which I think is
    a fine suggestion. In addition, you might want to look at:

    Effective STL Scott Meyers
    published by Addison-Wesley ISBN 0-201-74962-9

    STL Tutorial and Reference Guide, 2nd Ed. Musser, Saini, Derge
    published by Addison-Wesley ISBN 0-201-37923-6

    It isn't specifically devoted to the iterators/iterators/containers
    part of the library (or even to the library) but you might also want to
    look at:

    C++ Common Knowledge Stephen Dewhurst
    published by Addison-Wesley ISBN 0-321-32192-8

    --
    Later,
    Jerry.

    Jerry Coffin, May 23, 2005
  6. Markus Dehmann

    ShaneG Guest

    "STL Tutorial and Reference Guide" would also be a good choice.

    While "Effective STL" and "C++ Common Knowledge" are both good books,
    neither of them is attempting to be either a tutorial or a reference
    for STL, but cover specific patterns and problems that are good to know
    about once you already have a basic working knowledge (of both C++ and
    the STL).

    If you are new to STL, then one of the books that is more comprehensive
    would be a better starting point (IMO).

    ShaneG, May 23, 2005
  7. Markus Dehmann wrote:

    > Is there a good book on STL containers and how to use the STL efficiently,
    > in general?
    >
    > I often don't know if a map, hash_map (not STL?), or vector would be more
    > efficient. Or list? What is a deque? I'd like to learn when to use which
    > container. Can someone recommend a good book on this?

    Apart from the STL-specific books that others have recommended, "The C++ Programming
    Language" 3rd Edition or Special Edition by Bjarne Stroustrup (the creator of C++), also
    covers well the various containers and algorithms, and explains how to use them well, and
    provides the various costs of containers and algorithms in Big-O notation (it also
    provides a table of all container Big-O costs for various operations).

    --
    Ioannis Vranos

    http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys

    Ioannis Vranos, May 23, 2005
  8. Markus Dehmann

    ShaneG Guest

    Yes, while this wouldn't necessarily be what I would recommend
    specifically for coverage of STL topics, there is no question that you
    should have a copy of this, and read through it if you are programming
    in C++.

    ShaneG, May 23, 2005