STL custom allocator design

Dave Rahardja

Where would I go to learn how to create a custom STL allocator? I want to
manage memory in a particular way for certain containers.

-dr

Alan Johnson

Dave said:
Where would I go to learn how to create a custom STL allocator? I want to
manage memory in a particular way for certain containers.

-dr

Josuttis has some sample code online from his book "The C++ Standard
Library - A Tutorial and Reference". Obviously the book would help to
put it all into context, but the sample code is straightforward and has
a lot of comments:
http://www.josuttis.com/libbook/memory/myalloc1.cpp.html

gamediaceo

What would be the benefit of creating a custom allocator for an STL
container?

Cheers, Henry

Dave Rahardja

What would be the benefit of creating a custom allocator for an STL
container?

In an embedded system that must contend with both long uptimes and small
amounts of memory, it is often beneficial to manage dynamic memory allocation
"by hand". I'd still like to use vector, string, etc., but I'd like to
constrain how the memory is allocated (e.g. from a pool or section of memory).

-dr