stl map with bool values: set default value to false

Rui Maciel

Let's say we have a stl map with bool values. Is it possible to set it such that,
if we pass to operator[] a key which doesn't have a value, the operator will return
false instead of true? If so, can anyone please explain me how that can be done?

Thanks in advance,
Rui Maciel

Victor Bazarov

Rui said:
Let's say we have a stl map with bool values. Is it possible to set it such that,
if we pass to operator[] a key which doesn't have a value, the operator will return
false instead of true? If so, can anyone please explain me how that can be done?

It is the default behaviour. Now, making it so it sets it to 'true'
would be a small challenge. Also, see FAQ 5.2.

Rui Maciel

Victor said:
It is the default behaviour. Now, making it so it sets it to 'true'
would be a small challenge. Also, see FAQ 5.2.

It appears I was getting odd results due to a bug in my code. I was using a
std::map<size_t,bool> to store object selection entries and the selection routine
was so overreaching that it ended up selecting all objects in the domain, which led
to all map entry values to appear as true.

Thanks for the help, Victor. Kudos!
Rui Maciel