    "STL" receintly. What is STL?

    --
    Walt L. Williams
    Walt L. Williams, Jan 28, 2005

  2. Walt L. Williams wrote:

    > Greetings
    >
    > I am a CS student. I ran into the term
    > "STL" receintly. What is STL?

    Holy smokes "receintly" how about "recently"
    (This is what a spell checker is for; right?)
    --
    Walt L. Williams
    Walt L. Williams, Jan 28, 2005

  3. Walt L. Williams wrote:
    > Greetings
    >
    > I am a CS student. I ran into the term
    > "STL" receintly. What is STL?

    Standard Template Library.

    --
    Thomas Matthews

    C++ newsgroup welcome message:
    http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
    alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
    Other sites:
    Thomas Matthews, Jan 28, 2005
  4. Walt L. Williams

    TJ Guest

    The first link I got when I googled "STL" is this

    http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/
    This is a good start for STL.

    I would say it is the best and optimized template library. It is fun
    learning and using STL. Hope you would enjoy learning.

    There are lot other sites that would help you learn STL. MSDN is also
    a good reference.

    All the best.
    -TJ
    TJ, Jan 28, 2005
  5. Walt L. Williams

    Jigar Mehta Guest

    Can you please give an example of STL ?? which class (taking for
    example) are included in STL ?? Is CList, CArray included in STL ???
    Jigar Mehta, Jan 28, 2005
  6. Walt L. Williams

    Shezan Baig Guest

    Jigar Mehta wrote:
    > Can you please give an example of STL ?? which class (taking for
    > example) are included in STL ?? Is CList, CArray included in STL ???

    Look at the SGI link mentioned earlier. Look at the "Table of
    Contents", it has all you need to know there.
    No, CList and CArray are from MFC, not STL.

    -shez-
    Shezan Baig, Jan 28, 2005
  7. Jigar Mehta wrote:
    > Can you please give an example of STL ??

    What do you mean with "example of STL"? The "Standard Template
    Library", "STL" for short, is a library as specified by a paper
    by Alexander Stepanov and Meng Lee (see
    <http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/95/HPL-95-11.html>) which
    became an accepted proposal for the standard C++ lirary.
    Historically, the facilities described in the paper are what
    compromises the "STL". The term "STL" is today often confused
    with the standard C++ library.

    > which class (taking for example) are included in STL ??

    Actually, there are only very few classes included in the STL
    and those which are are essentially rather technical class you
    are probably not really interested in. However, the STL includes
    a fair amount of class and function templates plus, much more
    important than either of those, a set of concepts (in the paper
    the concepts were characterized through sets of requirements and
    I think the term "concept" was not used at that time). The class
    templates fall into several categories. There are class
    for

    - containers, e.g. 'std::vector', 'std::list', 'std::map'
    - iterators, e.g. 'std::reverse_iterator', 'std::eek:stream_iterator'
    - functors, e.g. 'std::less', 'std::plus'
    - traits, e.g. 'std::iterator_traits'

    There are function templates for

    - general algorithms, e.g. 'std::copy()', 'std::sort()'
    - numeric algorithms, e.g. 'std::accumulate()'
    - simplified object creation, e.g. 'std::back_inserter()'

    > Is CList, CArray included in STL ???

    No. There is a list and a choice of random access containers but
    with a rather different interface.
    Dietmar Kuehl, Jan 28, 2005
  8. Walt L. Williams wrote:

    > Greetings
    >
    > I am a CS student. I ran into the term
    > "STL" receintly. What is STL?

    A subset of the standard library (in fact the largest part of it),
    consisting of templates.

    --
    Ioannis Vranos

    http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys