STLFilt news: for Intel, EDG, C++Builder6 and MSVC

Leor Zolman

The Intel C++ version of STLFilt (my STL Error Message Decryptor
utility) has now been updated to support Intel C++ 8 (currently in
Beta) along with version 7. All three MSVC libraries are supported,
yielding a total of six supported Intel C++ / MSVC lib combinations.
Best results, however, are achieved by sticking with the MSVC 7.x
libs.

A version designed for use with the generic EDG front-end "demo"
compiler is now available (libcomo and Dinkumware libraries are
supported). EDG has added hooks in their Unix shell script driver
(eccp) supporting automatic invocation of the filtering script. See
the EDG-specific revision log for details.

For Borland, STLFilt now supports C++Builder 6 (the demo version I
tested with employs the STLport library) as well as Borland C++ 5.5.1.
Alas, only the command-line compilers are supported, until someone can
show me how to get hooks into the C++Builder IDE's diagnostic stream.

The straight MSVC 6/7 version now supports the Dinkum Unabridged
Library along with Dinkum 3.08, STLport and the native MSVC libs.

Other C++ platforms supported (with no major recent changes):
Metrowerks CodeWarrior 7/8, Comeau C++ and gcc 2/3.

Note: The MSVC and gcc versions alone sport special options for
wrapping *very* long type names using "intelligent indentation". This
was designed primarily to assist in formatting template
metaprogramming types, e.g. in conjunction with Boost MPL.

As usual, all versions may be freely downloaded from the STLFilt home
page:

http://www.bdsoft.com/tools/stlfilt.html

For announcements and discussion of STLFilt issues, please join the
new Yahoo Groups STLFilt forum:

Thanks,
-leor