    Winshent Guest

    How do you stop form information being stored such as credit card info
    in a textbox?

    Winshent, Oct 26, 2005

  2. Winshent,

    That would be up to the user to configure on their browser...

    --
    Sincerely,

    S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    Web Developer / Programmer

    www.aboutfortunate.com

    "Out of chaos comes order."
    Nietzsche

    S. Justin Gengo, Oct 26, 2005

  3. Winshent

    Siva M Guest

    I am not sure if you are talking about the AutoComplete feature of IE. If
    so, you can disable it: From IE, select menu Tools, Options. Go to the
    Content tab and click AutoComplete... and uncheck Forms checkbox.

    HTH.

    Siva M, Oct 26, 2005
  4. Winshent

    Winshent Guest

    Yes i am referring to the auto complete feature of the browser. Certain
    banking sites dont store such information, regardless of your browser
    settings. So i assume there must be a way to stop it being stored..

    When you set textbox.type=password.. then the info is not stored by the
    browser.

    Winshent, Oct 26, 2005
  5. Winshent

    Siva M Guest

    Specify autocomplete=off if a particular textbox text should not be stored
    by the browser as in:

    <input type=password name="myPwd" autocomplete="off">

    The same attribute can be applied at the form level as well, to turn
    autocomplete off for the entire form.

    Siva M, Oct 26, 2005
  6. Siva,

    Great info. I also found the following on the w3c website:

    2.9. The autocomplete attribute
    The autocomplete attribute applies to the text, password, select, textarea,
    date-related, time-related, numeric, email, and uri controls. The attribute
    takes two values, on and off. The default, when the attribute is not
    specified, is on.

    The on value means the UA may store the value entered by the user so that if
    the user returns to the page, the UA can prefill the form. The off value
    means that the UA must not remember that field's value.

    This specification does not define the autocompletion mechanism. UAs may
    implement any system within the conformance criteria of this specification,
    taking into account security and privacy concerns.

    A UA may allow the user to disable support for this attribute. Support for
    the attribute must be enabled by default, and the ability to disable support
    should not be trivially accessible, as there are significant security
    implications for the user if support for this attribute is disabled.

    Banks frequently do not want UAs to prefill login information:

    In practice, this attribute is required by many banking institutions, who
    insist that UAs with auto-complete features implement it before supporting
    them on their Web sites. For this reason, it is implemented by most major
    Web browsers already, and has been for many years.

    --
    Sincerely,

    S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    Web Developer / Programmer