    apart from moving the search mechanism higher up the page of course, which
    would be inconvenient due to the nature of the content currently at the top?

    Thanks, Mike.
    Mike Owen, Nov 1, 2005

  2. Hello Mike,
    I guess you will have to handle the view state of the page.
    which version of .NET are you using?

    --
    Khaled Hussein
    Graduate Teaching Assistant

    Khaled Hussein, Nov 1, 2005

  3. Mike Owen

    Mike Owen Guest

    Hi Khalid,

    I am using V 1.1, but going to 2.0 in the next couple of weeks.

    How would the view state help?

    Cheers, Mike.

    Mike Owen, Nov 1, 2005
  4. Hi Mike,

    Regarding on the question you mentioned, I think we have the below options:

    1. for asp.net 1.x, we can either turn on the page's smartNavigation or
    manually register some clientside script and use clientside element's
    "focus()" script function to se the focus. We can add such code in your
    link button's click event, and register the script to set focus for your
    link button.

    2. in asp.net 2.0, there has provided build "SetFocus" function for ASP.NET
    Page class, we can just pass the "SetFocus" function a control reference or
    a control's "ClientID" (a string value), so that the output page will
    contains script to set the control's client html elemetn as the focus.

    You can have a try on both of them(.NET 2.0 and VS.NET 2005 has been
    released :)).

    Hope helps. Thanks,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)
    --------------------

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Nov 2, 2005
  5. Mike Owen

    Mike Owen Guest

    Thanks Steve, I've been busy sorting other bits of the site today, but will
    hopefully try the bits below tomorrow.

    Do you know how they fit in with Accessibility/disability requirements of we
    sites as this is of primary concern to the end user?

    .....presumably this would be better handled with .Net 2.0?

    Cheers, Mike.

    Mike Owen, Nov 2, 2005
  6. Thanks for your response Mike,

    As for Accessibility/disability consideration, I think you can prefer the
    registering clientside script approach, (we can format the script section
    so as to meet those certain accessibility requirement.). For
    smartNavigation, it may injectes some browser specific contents which may
    somewhat hurt the accessibility.

    Thanks,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    --------------------
    | From: =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBPd2Vu?= <>
    | Subject: Re: Stop page going back to the top when submitting
    | Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 13:36:02 -0800
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
    |
    | Thanks Steve, I've been busy sorting other bits of the site today, but
    will
    | hopefully try the bits below tomorrow.
    |
    | Do you know how they fit in with Accessibility/disability requirements of
    we
    | sites as this is of primary concern to the end user?
    |
    | ....presumably this would be better handled with .Net 2.0?
    |

    | Cheers, Mike.
    |
    | "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
    |
    | > Hi Mike,
    | >
    | > Regarding on the question you mentioned, I think we have the below
    | >
    | > 1. for asp.net 1.x, we can either turn on the page's smartNavigation or
    | > manually register some clientside script and use clientside element's
    | > "focus()" script function to se the focus. We can add such code in your
    | > link button's click event, and register the script to set focus for
    your
    | > link button.
    | >
    | > 2. in asp.net 2.0, there has provided build "SetFocus" function for
    ASP.NET
    | > Page class, we can just pass the "SetFocus" function a control
    reference or
    | > a control's "ClientID" (a string value), so that the output page will
    | > contains script to set the control's client html elemetn as the focus.
    | >
    | > You can have a try on both of them(.NET 2.0 and VS.NET 2005 has been
    | > released :)).
    | >
    | > Hope helps. Thanks,
    | >
    | > Steven Cheng
    | > Microsoft Online Support

    | > rights.)
    | > --------------------
    | > | From: =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBPd2Vu?= <>
    | > | Subject: Re: Stop page going back to the top when submitting
    | > | Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 06:22:04 -0800
    | > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
    | > |
    | > | Hi Khalid,
    | > |
    | > | I am using V 1.1, but going to 2.0 in the next couple of weeks.
    | > |
    | > | How would the view state help?
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | Cheers, Mike.
    | > |
    | > | "Khaled Hussein" wrote:
    | > |
> [...]
    | > |

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Nov 3, 2005
  7. Hi Mike,

    Have you got any further progress on this? If there're anything else we can
    help, please feel free to post here.

    Thanks,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)
    --------------------
    | From: (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
    | Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 02:17:08 GMT
    | Subject: Re: Stop page going back to the top when submitting
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
    |
    | Thanks for your response Mike,
    |
    | As for Accessibility/disability consideration, I think you can prefer
    the
    | registering clientside script approach, (we can format the script section
    | so as to meet those certain accessibility requirement.). For
    | smartNavigation, it may injectes some browser specific contents which may
    | somewhat hurt the accessibility.
    |
    | Thanks,
    |
    | Steven Cheng
    | Microsoft Online Support

    | rights.)
    |

    | --------------------
    | | From: =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBPd2Vu?= <>
    | | Subject: Re: Stop page going back to the top when submitting
    | | Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 13:36:02 -0800
    | | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
    | |
    | | Thanks Steve, I've been busy sorting other bits of the site today, but
    | will
    | | hopefully try the bits below tomorrow.
    | |
    | | Do you know how they fit in with Accessibility/disability requirements
    of
    | we
    | | sites as this is of primary concern to the end user?
    | |
    | | ....presumably this would be better handled with .Net 2.0?
    | |
    | |
    | | Cheers, Mike.
    | |
    | | "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
    | |
    | | > Hi Mike,
    | | >
    | | > Regarding on the question you mentioned, I think we have the below
    | | >
    | | > 1. for asp.net 1.x, we can either turn on the page's smartNavigation
    or
    | | > manually register some clientside script and use clientside element's

    | | > "focus()" script function to se the focus. We can add such code in
    your
    | | > link button's click event, and register the script to set focus for
    | your
    | | > link button.
    | | >
    | | > 2. in asp.net 2.0, there has provided build "SetFocus" function for
    | ASP.NET
    | | > Page class, we can just pass the "SetFocus" function a control
    | reference or
    | | > a control's "ClientID" (a string value), so that the output page
    will
    | | > contains script to set the control's client html elemetn as the
    focus.

    | | > You can have a try on both of them(.NET 2.0 and VS.NET 2005 has been
    | | > released :)).
    | | >
    | | > Hope helps. Thanks,
    | | >
    | | > Steven Cheng
    | | > Microsoft Online Support
    | | >
    | | > Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    | | > (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
    | | > rights.)
    | | > --------------------
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > |

    | submit
    | seach

    | are
    | then

    | back
    | content

    | | > |

    | |

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Nov 7, 2005
  8. Mike Owen

    Mike Owen Guest

    Steve,

    Thanks again for the response.

    In the short term, I have used the SmartNavigation approach.

    I may well come back to you soon when I upgrade the site to ASP.Net 2.0

    Cheers, Mike.

    Mike Owen, Nov 8, 2005
  9. Thanks for the followup Mike,

    OK. Please feel free to post here when you need our assistance.

    Good luck!

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)
    --------------------
    | From: =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBPd2Vu?= <>
    | Subject: Re: Stop page going back to the top when submitting
    | Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 09:12:05 -0800
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
    |
    | Steve,
    |
    | Thanks again for the response.
    |
    | In the short term, I have used the SmartNavigation approach.
    |
    | I may well come back to you soon when I upgrade the site to ASP.Net 2.0
    |

    | Cheers, Mike.
    |
    | "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
    |
    | > Hi Mike,
    | >
    | > Have you got any further progress on this? If there're anything else we
    can
    | > help, please feel free to post here.
    | >
    | > Thanks,
    | >
    | > Steven Cheng
    | > Microsoft Online Support

    | > rights.)
    | > --------------------
    | > | From: (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
    | > | Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 02:17:08 GMT
    | > | Subject: Re: Stop page going back to the top when submitting
    | > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
    | > |
    | > | Thanks for your response Mike,
    | > |
    | > | As for Accessibility/disability consideration, I think you can
    prefer
    | > the
    | > | registering clientside script approach, (we can format the script
    section
    | > | so as to meet those certain accessibility requirement.). For
    | > | smartNavigation, it may injectes some browser specific contents which
    may
    | > | somewhat hurt the accessibility.
    | > |
    | > | Thanks,
    | > |
    | > | Steven Cheng
    | > | Microsoft Online Support
    | > |
    | > | Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    | > | (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
    | > | rights.)
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |