    To reply direct, remove NOSPAM and replace with railwaysonline
    For the Latest News, Information and Photos check out
    http://www.railwaysonline.co.uk

    Joe Patrick, Sep 14, 2003

  2. > I have a page which contains information which is being automatically
    > updated every minute, and therefore I have set up a meta refresher. Is it
    > possible to create a button that stops this refresh for users who do not
    > want the auto-update?

    Joe. I take it the "every minute update" is to tell us how many visitors are
    on line now or that the webmaster is online. If I'm right the solution is
    easy ...... take the update off, no one is interested and you get so annoyed
    with it auto updating you end up leaving.

    I hate people in here who are rude about other peoples efforts, I'm sure
    this site is the best you can do but could I offer some advice. Take a look
    at some of the other websites out there - www.bbc.co.uk is a good site, look
    at some of the other big companies, supermarkets etc. How does your site
    compare ? see my point ? It's not a patch on other sites is it and why not ?
    Make a list of what you find good about other sites, write the points down
    on some paper and then start again with your site. Build on it bit by bit
    and when you get stuck post questions back here about how to do something in
    particular and we'll help you.

    Two pointers to start with ......

    1. Never use frames - they are a pain and unnecessary
    2. Use your colours wisely - green on yellow ... ummmm, not pleasing to the
    eye.

    One last point, at least you've had a go Joe. So many people don't and then
    criticise those who do, wankers! Keep it up and please don't be discouraged.

    Chris

    Chris Leonard, Sep 14, 2003

  3. Joe Patrick

    Joe Patrick Guest

    > Joe. I take it the "every minute update" is to tell us how many visitors
    are
    > on line now or that the webmaster is online. If I'm right the solution is
    > easy ...... take the update off, no one is interested and you get so

    annoyed

    Done

    > 1. Never use frames - they are a pain and unnecessary

    How about Inline Frames?

    > 2. Use your colours wisely - green on yellow ... ummmm, not pleasing to

    the
    > eye.

    I think it looks lovely :)

    Joe Patrick, Sep 14, 2003
  4. Joe Patrick wrote:
    > I have a page which contains information which is being automatically
    > updated every minute, and therefore I have set up a meta refresher.

    I agree with Chris Leonard on this issue, but ...

    > Is it possible to create a button that stops this refresh for users
    > who do not want the auto-update?

    yes - make a link to the same page carrying some meaningful data in the
    query string. Then use your server side script to either include the
    refresh code or discard it.

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

    William Tasso, Sep 15, 2003