Stop Refresh

Joe Patrick

I have a page which contains information which is being automatically
updated every minute, and therefore I have set up a meta refresher. Is it
possible to create a button that stops this refresh for users who do not
want the auto-update?

Chris Leonard

I have a page which contains information which is being automatically
updated every minute, and therefore I have set up a meta refresher. Is it
possible to create a button that stops this refresh for users who do not
want the auto-update?

Joe. I take it the "every minute update" is to tell us how many visitors are
on line now or that the webmaster is online. If I'm right the solution is
easy ...... take the update off, no one is interested and you get so annoyed
with it auto updating you end up leaving.

I hate people in here who are rude about other peoples efforts, I'm sure
this site is the best you can do but could I offer some advice. Take a look
at some of the other websites out there - www.bbc.co.uk is a good site, look
at some of the other big companies, supermarkets etc. How does your site
compare ? see my point ? It's not a patch on other sites is it and why not ?
Make a list of what you find good about other sites, write the points down
on some paper and then start again with your site. Build on it bit by bit
and when you get stuck post questions back here about how to do something in
particular and we'll help you.

Two pointers to start with ......

1. Never use frames - they are a pain and unnecessary
2. Use your colours wisely - green on yellow ... ummmm, not pleasing to the
eye.

One last point, at least you've had a go Joe. So many people don't and then
criticise those who do, wankers! Keep it up and please don't be discouraged.

Chris

Joe Patrick

Joe. I take it the "every minute update" is to tell us how many visitors
are
on line now or that the webmaster is online. If I'm right the solution is
easy ...... take the update off, no one is interested and you get so annoyed

Done

1. Never use frames - they are a pain and unnecessary

How about Inline Frames?
2. Use your colours wisely - green on yellow ... ummmm, not pleasing to the
eye.

I think it looks lovely :)

William Tasso

Joe said:
I have a page which contains information which is being automatically
updated every minute, and therefore I have set up a meta refresher.

I agree with Chris Leonard on this issue, but ...
Is it possible to create a button that stops this refresh for users
who do not want the auto-update?

yes - make a link to the same page carrying some meaningful data in the
query string. Then use your server side script to either include the
refresh code or discard it.