Stop User Credentials Dialogue

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Richard, Apr 23, 2005.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Hi All,

    I have a web app on our intranet, and when an employee goes to the main
    page, it authenticates via Windows Authentication when the user fills in the
    user credentials dialog popup. I grab their name from wp.Identity.Name
    (WindowsPrincipal), and look the user up in a SQL Server database table. So
    far, so good.

    They make it to the main page, but virtually every other page they navigate
    to the user credentials dialog pops up again. All they do is click
    linkbuttons that navigate to another page using
    Response.Redirect("Page2.aspx", False). Even if they fill in the dialog
    correctly, it keeps prompting them up to 3 times, then errors out (no
    discernible error message).

    However, when I log in as myself using their computer, I have no problems
    using the app. The app initially prompts me like them with the user
    credentials dialog, but once I fill it out it doesn't pop up again. So, why
    would it keep prompting them?

    If it helps, here are the authentication/authorization settings in the
    web.config file:
    <authentication mode="Windows"/>
    <identity impersonate="true"/>
    <authorization>
    <deny users="?" />
    </authorization>

    Thank you for any help you can provide.
    Richard
    Richard, Apr 23, 2005

  2. Richard

    Richard Guest

    I believe I solved my own problem. I commented out '<identity
    impersonate="true"/>' in web.config and it seems to be working fine. Hope
    this was it for sure!

    Richard, Apr 23, 2005