Stopping getting html

BY

Hi Folks.

Quit new to the html side of things here. But my question is, how can I
stop anyone from viewing the html code or copying it in MSIE.

Cheers
Smcd

Andrew Davidson

BY said:
Hi Folks.

Quit new to the html side of things here. But my question is, how can I
stop anyone from viewing the html code or copying it in MSIE.

Simple, keep it in a locked drawer (and hold tight to the key).

Anonymous Joe

BY said:
Hi Folks.

Quit new to the html side of things here. But my question is, how can I
stop anyone from viewing the html code or copying it in MSIE.

Cheers
Smcd

Age old question, there is only one proper answer: YOU CANNOT!

Simply put, a right-click stopper is dumb, because View > Source works just
as well and isn't blocked by Javascript. So, all you've done is make people
who wanted to see it to start with get more of a satisfaction by finding it.

Secondly, your page gets viewed by person X. The PC person X was on now
contains that file, and it is easily transferable from the Temporary
Internet Files folder to their desktop or elsewhere where a simply text
editor may open it. Again, you've just made people get a good feeling about
finding your code.

If you encode your page it will deter many people, but it will also add a
step to your own writing process. Now you have to edit the unencoded page,
encode it, upload it, and make sure you didn't somehow get rid of the
unencoded page. Decoding a page and finding your code would give a code
copier much more of a good feeling.

And finally, if you have to ask that question you obviously don't have any
new code that would be worth stealing anyways, so it would be dumb.

You'd be better off putting a little note at the bottom: "Made with
Frontpage" and then nobody will try to steal it :)

Or you can really make it with Frontpage....but your out of the group if you
do that.

Hywel Jenkins

Hi Folks.

Quit new to the html side of things here. But my question is, how can I
stop anyone from viewing the html code or copying it in MSIE.

I haven't seen any of your work but I already know you have nothing
worth copying.

Nicolai P. Zwar

BY said:
Hi Folks.

Quit new to the html side of things here. But my question is, how can I
stop anyone from viewing the html code or copying it in MSIE.

You cannot, it's too late. We, the Master Web hacker Association Inc.,
already stole most of the good stuff from it. Here it is:

<head>
<title>
</title>
</head>
<h1></h1>
<h2></h2>
<h2></h2>

Grab it while you can, people! Need some tables or lists? Let us know
and we see what we can do. Want some antique <b>s and <i>s? We still got
some. Need some extra <divs>? Come to us! All at affordable prices.

Sam Hughes

Hi Folks.

Quit new to the html side of things here. But my question is, how can
I stop anyone from viewing the html code or copying it in MSIE.

Cheers
Smcd

Such is impossible, unless you don't put your code on the web.

There are javascript schemes for decrypting a file with encrypted
source, but a user can simply put <textarea> at some crucial location
and see your unencrypted code.

By the way, what do you have that is worth stealing? There is no such
thing as an original layout. Any decent HTML/CSS coder can see a
webpage and then copy its layout without looking at its code.

As for content, well anybody can select your text and copy it to a word
processor.

There is one way that seems to do a pretty decent job actually.

If you're using Windows, open your file in Notepad. Press 'Enter' 50
times. Then press Ctrl+S. Even though this doesn't stop people from
stealing your code, it sure is funny when people post to this forum,
completely confused as to why they got a blank text file!