Stopping Repeated Form Submission

KV

I need to stop the user from getting the following message:

"The page cannot be refreshed without resending the information.
Click Retry to send the information again,
or click Cancel to return to the page that you were trying to view."

OR, I need to stop the form button from being activated again and again.

In my situation, I have a form with labels, text boxes, and a datagrid.
Every time I add something to the text boxes and click on the button, the
database is updated and the datagrid is refreshed. If the form is refreshed
and I click on "retry", then the database gets updated again with the same
information from the text boxes (as if I clicked the button). This is
undesirable, since I'm getting many duplicate records.

I added a "if not ispostback" statement and it takes care of the problem.
But now my datagrid doesn't display right, because I need those records
added to the database once whenever the form is submitted. So now I'm
caught in between a rock and a hard place. If I keep the logic in I get
dups, if I limit it then the datagrid never gets updated until the page is
manually refreshed.

Any ideas?

-Kevin

bruce barker

you should add a transaction guid to every page, and log if its been
processed, this way you can ignore double postbacks, but the user can
resubmit if the transaction failed (deadlock), or was lost in the internet,
or IE failed to post correctly.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

KV

Thanks for the pointer. I did a search for "transaction guide" (looking for
code samples) but didn't come up with anything. What's the easiest way to
implement a transaction guide?

-Kevin