Stopping the Save picture As option

Damien

Hi, is there a way of stopping people from downloading or printing the
pictures on my web site?

Thanks

Jonathan N. Little

Travis said:
Yes use the No_Print meta tag
Yeah, Right!

To OP: No there is only *one* way--do not publish them on the web. Period!

Take a moment and search this group and you will see this discussed ad
nauseam.

dorayme

"Jonathan N. Little said:
Yeah, Right!

To OP: No there is only *one* way--do not publish them on the web. Period!

Take a moment and search this group and you will see this discussed ad
nauseam.

You will see, in fact, competitions to see who can capture
pictures the fastest in even the least pathetic attempts at
stopping it. I am champ but only because I have a Mac...

(sorry Sid...)

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme said:
stopping it. I am champ but only because I have a Mac...

What's that supposed to mean? Sounds like those dang Nerd and Cool-Guy
commercials!

dorayme

"Jonathan N. Little said:
What's that supposed to mean? Sounds like those dang Nerd and Cool-Guy
commercials!

I mean that so often when this question comes up and especially
when someone puts up an attempt to stop picture capture, many
people say how quickly they are able to circumvent it. And that
Mac has always had great screen capture facilities built along
their operating systems. I am not the champ of anything. I lied.

Damien

Hi all,

I am a amateur when it comes to making web pages.

I have been to web pages that if you right click on a picture a box is
displayed say that you can download. You dont get the right click menu at
all on these sites.
I want to have that option on the pages I want to make. (No right click
menu)

If you are an expert user then you could probably get around it and download
the pictures but I'm not targeting advance users.

Maybe there is a program out there that will do what i say for me?

Thanks

Damien

dorayme

"Damien said:
Hi all,

I am a amateur when it comes to making web pages.

I have been to web pages that if you right click on a picture a box is
displayed say that you can download. You dont get the right click menu at
all on these sites.
I want to have that option on the pages I want to make. (No right click
menu)

If you are an expert user then you could probably get around it and download
the pictures but I'm not targeting advance users.

Maybe there is a program out there that will do what i say for me?

Did you try typing "disable right click" into Google?

If you use some of the techniques (javascript mainly) you come
across, you will annoy some people because they might want to use
that control for purposes other than to steal your stuff.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

I have been to web pages that if you right click on a picture a box is
displayed say that you can download. You dont get the right click
menu at all on these sites.

Disable JavaScript in your browser.

Or if using Firefox, don't even bother. Just go to
Tools > Page Info > Media tab
and copy them right from there.

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme said:
I mean that so often when this question comes up and especially
when someone puts up an attempt to stop picture capture, many
people say how quickly they are able to circumvent it. And that
Mac has always had great screen capture facilities built along
their operating systems. I am not the champ of anything. I lied.

I sure love how Mac's seem to think they invented it... Screen capture
has been part of Windows since 95 I believe

dorayme

"Jonathan N. Little said:
I sure love how Mac's seem to think they invented it... Screen capture
has been part of Windows since 95 I believe

Mac have had for a very long time - and you missed this bit -
_great_ screen capture software. For example, I do not know a
single Windows user who has ever been able to tell me how to
match Command Shift 4 (which captures whatever you want on the
screen, not the lot) on Windows (of old at least). Just remember,
you are an old hand and can do anything on a computer (I have my
men reporting some very weird stuff indeed re you and
computers!). But the average punter would shower the Mac commands
on this with praise. I am no big Windows knocker, just something
I have observed over the years.

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme said:
Mac have had for a very long time - and you missed this bit -
_great_ screen capture software. For example, I do not know a
single Windows user who has ever been able to tell me how to
match Command Shift 4 (which captures whatever you want on the
screen, not the lot) on Windows (of old at least). Just remember,
you are an old hand and can do anything on a computer (I have my
men reporting some very weird stuff indeed re you and
computers!). But the average punter would shower the Mac commands
on this with praise. I am no big Windows knocker, just something
I have observed over the years.

I will concede that Window's CTRL+PrintScreen is basic, but there are
countless screen capture utilities available many like in IrfanView are
freeware...

BootNic

[email protected]

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.html/msg/ac90c4e78af56951

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.html/browse_thread/thread/78b04d7fde224231/ac90c4e78af56951

--
BootNic Thursday, December 28, 2006 1:41 AM

"My God! The thought of that evil man, loose in London--with money,
from God only knows what source--fomenting riot and rebellion during
a public emergency--and in control of an Engine-driven press! It's
nightmarish!"
*Gibson-Sterling*

Travis Newbury

Damien said:
If you are an expert user then you could probably get around it and download
the pictures but I'm not targeting advance users.
Maybe there is a program out there that will do what i say for me?

Basically if they can see it, they own it. Even if that owning is
something as simple as pressing printscreen and capturing it.

Bergamot

Damien said:
Hi, is there a way of stopping people from downloading or printing the
pictures on my web site?

No. Don't annoy your visitors with futile attempts at theft prevention.
Put a watermark on your images instead.

Travis Newbury

Jonathan said:
I will concede that Window's CTRL+PrintScreen is basic..

And I for one will always choose my operating system based on its
ability to do a screen capture...

Jonathan N. Little

Travis said:
And I for one will always choose my operating system based on its
ability to do a screen capture...

LOL! Yes, screen capture is a *mission critical* feature!

patrick j

Jonathan said:
I sure love how Mac's seem to think they invented it... Screen capture
has been part of Windows since 95 I believe

Macs have had screen capture since long before 1995. I can't remember
when it was introduced but it has been a Mac thing for many years.

dorayme

"Jonathan N. Little said:
LOL! Yes, screen capture is a *mission critical* feature!

Yes, it is for certain types of work, very handy indeed... so I
will leave you two old cronies chuckling away with each other...

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme said:
Yes, it is for certain types of work, very handy indeed... so I
will leave you two old cronies chuckling away with each other...

Pfffffh! Okay! (chuckle, chuckle).