Stopping VS.NET Debugger causes aspnet_wp to stop unexpectedly

Keith

I am building an ASP.NET application using VS.NET 2002 on Framework
1.1.4322.0. I am debugging the application and everytime I click the
stop button to quit debugging, the server stops the aspnet_wp.exe
process and reports to the Event Log with no real explaination.
Something like: aspnet_wp.exe (PID: 1828) stopped unexpectedly.

PID: 1828 is unique of course.

Why is this happening and is it by design? Sometimes, other
developers are effected by this since it effects all sites on our
development server. It also sometimes takes a while to begin to
respond again after the event occurs.

What is going on?