    package Storable"

    I really think the package already exists for Activestate, but can't
    seem to install it nor able to find the ppd for it. Anybody know?
    Kenjis Kaan, Jun 30, 2003

  2. Kenjis Kaan

    Sisyphus Guest

    "Kenjis Kaan" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I am running Activestate Perl 5.6.1 and wanted to install the Storable
    > module. HOwever, from PPM, I tried to install and it replied.
    > "Error installing package 'Storable': Could not locate a PPD file for
    > package Storable"
    >
    > I really think the package already exists for Activestate, but can't
    > seem to install it nor able to find the ppd for it. Anybody know?

    ActiveState certainly have this package. There is apparently some problem
    with the functionality of your ppm installation. (I think there is a number
    of possible causes for receiving this error.)
    Does 'ppm search Storable' report that it exists ?

    You could download Storable.zip from
    http://ppm.activestate.com/PPMPackages/zips/6xx-builds-only/
    and then try a local ppm install (as per instructions in the readme). At
    least you'll then have the blib (it's in the MSWin32 '.tar.gz') that Randy
    spoke of - which you can deal with manually if need be. (Note that the
    version of Storable obtained this way might not be as recent as the version
    contained in the AS repository.)

    For problems with ppm, ActiveState has a 'ppm' mailing list - if you don't
    get the problem resolved here.
    Best to get it fixed.

    Cheers,
    Rob
    Sisyphus, Jun 30, 2003

  3. Kenjis Kaan

    Kenjis Kaan Guest

    "Sisyphus" <> wrote in message news:<3effe8ec$0$>...
    > "Kenjis Kaan" <> wrote in message
    > > I am running Activestate Perl 5.6.1 and wanted to install the Storable
    > > module. HOwever, from PPM, I tried to install and it replied.
    > > "Error installing package 'Storable': Could not locate a PPD file for
    > > package Storable"
    > >
    > > I really think the package already exists for Activestate, but can't
    > > seem to install it nor able to find the ppd for it. Anybody know?

    > ActiveState certainly have this package. There is apparently some problem
    > with the functionality of your ppm installation. (I think there is a number
    > of possible causes for receiving this error.)
    > Does 'ppm search Storable' report that it exists ?

    ppm search Storable returns blank. So I guess you are right there is
    a problem with ppm, maybe its the version (2.1.5). It got installed
    as part of my perl 5.6.1 installation. Would it be possible to update
    just ppm by itself without touching the perl installation?
    Kenjis Kaan, Jun 30, 2003
  4. Kenjis Kaan

    Sisyphus Guest

    "Kenjis Kaan" <> wrote in message
    > ppm search Storable returns blank. So I guess you are right there is
    > a problem with ppm, maybe its the version (2.1.5). It got installed
    > as part of my perl 5.6.1 installation. Would it be possible to update
    > just ppm by itself without touching the perl installation?

    It could be simply a configuration issue.
    'ppm set' will list all of your current settings.

    If it doesn't show
    http://ppm.ActiveState.com/cgibin/PPM/ppmserver.pl?urn:/PPMServer as one of
    the "Current PPD repository paths" then run:
    ppm set repository ActiveState Package Repository
    http://ppm.ActiveState.com/cgibin/PPM/ppmserver.pl?urn:/PPMServer

    (Installation of ActiveState perl usually sets that configuration for you
    automatically.)

    Firewalls and proxy servers also interfere with the functionality of ppm.
    For that see your perl\html\faq\ActivePerl-faq2.html - specifically the
    section on proxies and firewalls.

    Updating your version would be difficult. Last time I checked cpan's latest
    version was 2.1.4 - which I have, and which works fine for me. Afaik you're
    pretty much stuck with the version of ppm that ships with your AS perl. Do
    you have build 635 ('perl -v' will tell you), which is the latest version of
    perl 5.6.1 available from AS - and which should therefore already have the
    latest version of ppm.

    Cheers,
    Rob
    Sisyphus, Jul 1, 2003