storage of security data

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Keith G Hicks, Feb 20, 2008.

  1. I'm really new to a lot of this. I'm using VWD 2005, asp.net 2.0 and SQL
    Express 2005. I'm comign from the SQL 2000 world and win apps. So bear with
    me.

    I created a db in SQL 2000 for a project. I decided to move it over to SQL
    Express and that went fine. i've also created an asp.net 2.0 app using VWD
    2005 which is connected ot the db I just mentioned. That's all fine too. It
    runs well so far on my dev machine.

    I am just getting my feet wet in the area of security and it's a bit
    overwhelming so far. The examples seem to deal with things in a bit
    different way than I'm used to thinking. I found some information that told
    me I should run aspnet_regsql.exe in order to add the asp.net security
    tables, views and procedures to my existing db. I did that and they're
    there. No trouble so far.

    Then I ran the ASP.net configuration tool from VWD 2005 so that I could set
    up security using the new tables I just mentioned. It didn't work. I got the
    message that I needed to run

    sp_configure 'user instances enabled', 1; reconfigure

    in my sql query window. I did that and then tried running the ASP.net
    configuration tool again. This time it seemed to let me do what I needed. I
    created a new user. However, instead of using the tables that I set up via
    the aspnet_regsql.exe too, it went ahead and created a new mdf file in the
    app. I don't understand why it did that. That's my first question.

    Second question is why can I not see the new db in my SQL Express Management
    Studio Express that the configuration tool created? Does that have something
    to do with it being a "file" database? i'm not clear on this at all. Does
    asp.net have a way to let you create mdf/log files that are part of the
    project tha thave nothing to do with the local sql express installation? Can
    they exist and operate without even having installed sql express? Does
    asp.net 2.0 have some sort of db engine that handles these file dbs? I need
    some clarification on these issues.

    Thanks,

    Keith

    Keith G Hicks, Feb 20, 2008