storage of security data

Keith G Hicks

I'm really new to a lot of this. I'm using VWD 2005, asp.net 2.0 and SQL
Express 2005. I'm comign from the SQL 2000 world and win apps. So bear with
me.

I created a db in SQL 2000 for a project. I decided to move it over to SQL
Express and that went fine. i've also created an asp.net 2.0 app using VWD
2005 which is connected ot the db I just mentioned. That's all fine too. It
runs well so far on my dev machine.

I am just getting my feet wet in the area of security and it's a bit
overwhelming so far. The examples seem to deal with things in a bit
different way than I'm used to thinking. I found some information that told
me I should run aspnet_regsql.exe in order to add the asp.net security
tables, views and procedures to my existing db. I did that and they're
there. No trouble so far.

Then I ran the ASP.net configuration tool from VWD 2005 so that I could set
up security using the new tables I just mentioned. It didn't work. I got the
message that I needed to run

sp_configure 'user instances enabled', 1; reconfigure

in my sql query window. I did that and then tried running the ASP.net
configuration tool again. This time it seemed to let me do what I needed. I
created a new user. However, instead of using the tables that I set up via
the aspnet_regsql.exe too, it went ahead and created a new mdf file in the
app. I don't understand why it did that. That's my first question.

Second question is why can I not see the new db in my SQL Express Management
Studio Express that the configuration tool created? Does that have something
to do with it being a "file" database? i'm not clear on this at all. Does
asp.net have a way to let you create mdf/log files that are part of the
project tha thave nothing to do with the local sql express installation? Can
they exist and operate without even having installed sql express? Does
asp.net 2.0 have some sort of db engine that handles these file dbs? I need
some clarification on these issues.

Thanks,

Keith