Stored Procedures are good or bad?

WJ

SP is one very good method of accessing data. I use it a lot, I also use it
with MS/DAAB, another good tool. The only disadvantage that I see from using
SP is I have to prepare SP for every DB task my application handles. But,
hey, without SP, I still have to write some codes (may be more) to do what
an SP can do. With SP, you can isolate core DB logic from your application.
On top of that, I do not need to give DB access to anybody, no role needed
neither. Just give EXEC right to a group and that is all about security.
Very simple. A solution that works reliably. Never break (so far for me :));

John

David Jessee

Is fire good, or is it bad? it depends on how you use it.

SP's are great for thinning down your code. Also, I can't count the number
of times that dynamic sql has generated strange results because the
developer made a typo. Also, as annoying as it is, having to make a change
to both a stored procedure and the code that utilizes it causes exceptions
to be more visible, as opposed to having dynamic sql that, for instance, was
not updated to insert date into a new field.

However, having stored procedures that manage business logic is bad, bad,
bad, bad!
Things like calculating invoice totals, where there are multiple procing
strategies, or calculating interest on accounts (which a lot of times
introducts strange rounding errors) is best done in your business layer.

Kevin Spencer

Why? What does what I feel have anything to do with the facts?

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP