Stored Procedures are good or bad?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Patrick Olurotimi Ige, Jan 20, 2005.

  1. Patrick Olurotimi Ige, Jan 20, 2005

  2. Patrick Olurotimi Ige

    Bob Lehmann Guest

    Bob Lehmann, Jan 20, 2005

  3. Patrick Olurotimi Ige

    WJ Guest

    SP is one very good method of accessing data. I use it a lot, I also use it
    with MS/DAAB, another good tool. The only disadvantage that I see from using
    SP is I have to prepare SP for every DB task my application handles. But,
    hey, without SP, I still have to write some codes (may be more) to do what
    an SP can do. With SP, you can isolate core DB logic from your application.
    On top of that, I do not need to give DB access to anybody, no role needed
    neither. Just give EXEC right to a group and that is all about security.
    Very simple. A solution that works reliably. Never break (so far for me :));

    John

    WJ, Jan 20, 2005
  4. Patrick Olurotimi Ige

    David Jessee Guest

    Is fire good, or is it bad? it depends on how you use it.

    SP's are great for thinning down your code. Also, I can't count the number
    of times that dynamic sql has generated strange results because the
    developer made a typo. Also, as annoying as it is, having to make a change
    to both a stored procedure and the code that utilizes it causes exceptions
    to be more visible, as opposed to having dynamic sql that, for instance, was
    not updated to insert date into a new field.

    However, having stored procedures that manage business logic is bad, bad,
    bad, bad!
    Things like calculating invoice totals, where there are multiple procing
    strategies, or calculating interest on accounts (which a lot of times
    introducts strange rounding errors) is best done in your business layer.

    David Jessee, Jan 20, 2005
  5. Kevin Spencer, Jan 20, 2005