storing and manipulating columns of data

baptiste Auguié

Hi,

Being used to deal with Octave / Matlab, I'm a bit confused by Ruby
structures (arrays, hashes, etc). I have this data file "data.dat"
with 3 columns:

1.240000 9.990000e-01 1.290000e-06
1.550000 1.000000e+00 2.920000e-06
2.066000 1.002000e+00 8.360000e-06
2.480000 1.001000e+00 1.520000e-05
2.755000 1.001000e+00 2.210000e-05
3.099000 1.003000e+00 3.570000e-05
3.444000 1.003000e+00 3.240000e-05
3.542000 1.003000e+00 1.720000e-05
4.133000 1.001000e+00 1.430000e-05
4.959000 1.001000e+00 2.400000e-05
6.199000 1.001000e+00 4.720000e-05
8.265000 9.990000e-01 1.210000e-04

I would like to think of the columns as arrays "a", "b", "c", execute
a loop along their indices, pick the values i want, and do something
with them. What would be a sensible data structure for this?
I can read this datafile line by line using IO:readlines("data.dat"),
but I cannot find a way to refer to one column in the array of
strings generated.

Best regards,

baptiste

Alex Young

baptiste said:
Hi,

Being used to deal with Octave / Matlab, I'm a bit confused by Ruby
structures (arrays, hashes, etc). I have this data file "data.dat" with
3 columns:

I would like to think of the columns as arrays "a", "b", "c", execute a
loop along their indices, pick the values i want, and do something with
them. What would be a sensible data structure for this?
I can read this datafile line by line using IO:readlines("data.dat"),
but I cannot find a way to refer to one column in the array of strings
generated.
In native Ruby, the only way to do that would be:

arr = [[0,1],[2,3],[4,5]]
arr.map{|a| a[0]}
# => [0,2,4]

If you can install rb-gsl (and it's probably a good idea if you're
expecting to do matlab/octavey things), then there's the
GSL::Matrix#column method which (as I understand it, not being a heavy
GSL user) actually gives a reference into the original matrix, rather
than copying to a new one as Array#map does.

Tim Hunter

baptiste said:
Hi,

Being used to deal with Octave / Matlab, I'm a bit confused by Ruby
structures (arrays, hashes, etc). I have this data file "data.dat"
with 3 columns:

I would like to think of the columns as arrays "a", "b", "c", execute
a loop along their indices, pick the values i want, and do something
with them. What would be a sensible data structure for this?
I can read this datafile line by line using IO:readlines("data.dat"),
but I cannot find a way to refer to one column in the array of strings
generated.
You can use String#split to split each line into an array of 3 numbers.
If you want to use the array values as numbers, you'll need to use
String#to_f as well to convert the strings to numeric values.

ri String#split
ri String#to_f

Morton Goldberg

Being used to deal with Octave / Matlab, I'm a bit confused by Ruby =20=
structures (arrays, hashes, etc). I have this data file "data.dat" =20
with 3 columns:

I would like to think of the columns as arrays "a", "b", "c", =20
execute a loop along their indices, pick the values i want, and do =20
something with them. What would be a sensible data structure for this?
I can read this datafile line by line using IO:readlines=20
("data.dat"), but I cannot find a way to refer to one column in the =20=
array of strings generated.

Maybe something like this is what you're looking for:

<code>
data =3D DATA.readlines
rows =3D data.map do |row|
row.split(/\s+/).map { |elt| elt.to_f }
end
a, b, c =3D rows.transpose
p a, b, c
__END__
1.240000 9.990000e-01 1.290000e-06
1.550000 1.000000e+00 2.920000e-06
2.066000 1.002000e+00 8.360000e-06
2.480000 1.001000e+00 1.520000e-05
</code>

<result>
[1.24, 1.55, 2.066, 2.48]
[0.999, 1.0, 1.002, 1.001]
[1.29e-06, 2.92e-06, 8.36e-06, 1.52e-05]
</result>

Regards, Morton