Storing encrypted password in xml file??

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by smita, Jan 15, 2004.

  1. smita

    smita Guest

    Hi,

    I have an XML file that stores a Profile of a user, including the username,
    password, server name, etc.

    I want to be able to leave the XML file as plain text, but have the password
    attribute encrypted.

    I have used the RC2CryptoServiceProvider class, but when i convert the
    encrypted byte array to a string to store in my xml file, it(the encrypted
    string) contains some illegal characters which are not allowed in an xml
    file.

    Anyone have any ideas of how to encrypt the password and still be able to
    store it in the xml file.

    By the way, I also need to decrypt it, so none of the hash code replies
    please..

    Thanks in advance:)

    Smita.
    smita, Jan 15, 2004

  2. Have you considered wrapping the password data using "CDATA" blocks?

    originated.
    Mark Berryman [MSFT], Jan 29, 2004