storing html page with images in a database

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by SRM, Jan 9, 2009.

  1. SRM

    SRM Guest

    I'm working on a system that creates html reports with graphs as
    dynamically created images. We need to archive these reports in a
    database for later retrieval.

    Currently we just store the html as text in the database and the
    graphs get recreated every time the report is viewed. This has the
    limitation that any changes to the graph creation engine need to be
    backward compatible with all the existing reports. To get around this
    we are investigating the option of storing the graph images with the
    html in the database.

    It would be great if we could store the html and image files together
    in one blob using something like a web archive (.MHT) or ZIP file,
    especially as we are going to introduce PDF reports in the near
    future, so we'll need to move from text to binary storage anyway.

    Has anyone done something similar? I'd appreciate any thoughts or
    previous experiences.

    SRM, Jan 9, 2009

  2. SRM wrote:
    > I'm working on a system that creates html reports with graphs as
    > dynamically created images. We need to archive these reports in a
    > database for later retrieval.
    >
    > Currently we just store the html as text in the database and the
    > graphs get recreated every time the report is viewed. This has the
    > limitation that any changes to the graph creation engine need to be
    > backward compatible with all the existing reports. To get around this
    > we are investigating the option of storing the graph images with the
    > html in the database.
    >
    > It would be great if we could store the html and image files together
    > in one blob using something like a web archive (.MHT) or ZIP file,
    > especially as we are going to introduce PDF reports in the near
    > future, so we'll need to move from text to binary storage anyway.
    >
    > Has anyone done something similar? I'd appreciate any thoughts or
    > previous experiences.

    Why not store the images in a separate table (or at least as separate
    items in the table)?

    If you put the html code and the images in an achive in the database,
    you will have to unpack the same archive several times when you display
    the page. The browser will request the images separately, and you will
    have to unpack the archive once for each image that is requested.

    --
    Göran Andersson
    _____

    Göran Andersson, Jan 9, 2009