Storing images

Discussion in 'Java' started by Lew, Jul 7, 2008.

  1. Lew

    Lew Guest

    Arne Vajh??j wrote:
    > Christian Decker wrote:
    >> I want to create a service where people can upload their images and
    >> later on access them. I'm using Hibernate for the meta data such as
    >> image title, comments and relationships with other Domain-Entities in
    >> my system, but I have absolutely no clue about how to best store the
    >> images. Storing them in the database would obviously be a complete
    >> overkill, while storing them directly on the disk does have some
    >> drawbacks as I wanted to serve the images along with the other static
    >> content from a different host for caching and speed reasons.
    >> Any idea on how to do this? Maybe a Content Repository like JackRabbit
    >> would be fit for the job?

    > If you have some database power and the pictures are not totally
    > huge, then I will recommend the database solution. Much easier
    > to manage.

    Yeah, there is virtually nothing "untenable" about a lsd being "overkill".

    --
    Lew

    An Open Letter to GIs in Iraq
    By STAN GOFF
    (US Army Retired)

    They'll throw you away like a used condom when they are done.

    Ask the vets who are having their benefits slashed out from
    under them now.

    Bushfeld and their cronies are parasites, and they are the sole
    beneficiaries of the chaos you are learning to live in.

    They get the money. You get the prosthetic devices,
    the nightmares, and the mysterious illnesses.

    Christian Decker, Jul 8, 2008

  3. Lew

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Christian Decker wrote:
    > I want to create a service where people can upload their images and
    > later on access them. I'm using Hibernate for the meta data such as
    > image title, comments and relationships with other Domain-Entities in
    > my system, but I have absolutely no clue about how to best store the
    > images. Storing them in the database would obviously be a complete
    > overkill, while storing them directly on the disk does have some
    > drawbacks as I wanted to serve the images along with the other static
    > content from a different host for caching and speed reasons.
    > Any idea on how to do this? Maybe a Content Repository like JackRabbit
    > would be fit for the job?

    If you have some database power and the pictures are not totally
    huge, then I will recommend the database solution. Much easier
    to manage.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jul 8, 2008