Storing/Retrieving Files In Database

Cindy

Hi. I'm using SQL Server 2005. I'd like to know if anyone has any
reference on how to allow users to upload a file **onto a database**.
In other words, a user can have several related files belonging to
him. Also, I would need a syntax that allowed me to retrieve those
files.

I'm sure this is possible. Aside from that information, can anyone
suggest whether this is the proper method? I know I can simply store
the paths, but starting to juggle various directories is not really my
cup of tea; if there is only one directory to store all the files,
some of them might have the same name, thus creating a conflict. That
is something I do not need to worry about if everything is stored in a
table image field.

In any case, thank you in advance for your help.

Cindy

Guest

Hi.  I'm using SQL Server 2005.  I'd like to know if anyone has any
reference on how to allow users to upload a file **onto a database**.
In other words, a user can have several related files belonging to
him.  Also, I would need a syntax that allowed me to retrieve those
files.

I'm sure this is possible.  Aside from that information, can anyone
suggest whether this is the proper method?  I know I can simply store
the paths, but starting to juggle various directories is not really my
cup of tea; if there is only one directory to store all the files,
some of them might have the same name, thus creating a conflict.  That
is something I do not need to worry about if everything is stored in a
table image field.

In any case, thank you in advance for your help.

Cindy

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=asp.net+upload+file+into+database

Guest

If you are asking whether file data should be stored in a database, that's
really up to you. Many people store the files on the filesystem and only have
a database entry that points to the file location. Regarding "bloat" that
should not be an issue as long as the table(s) are properly indexed.

-- Peter
Site:http://www.eggheadcafe.com
UnBlog:http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com
Short Urls & more:http://ittyurl.net

I agree with Peter.

Sharepoint / WSS stores the files in SQL Server (can this be an answer
to the question about proper way? :) I'm also working at the moment
on a similar application that keeps files saved in the database. I
decided to do this because of easy backup, synchronization and role-
based security.