Storing running instances between calls

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by dumbledad@gmail.com, Sep 14, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi Folks,

    I'm using ASP.Net (with some web services) to do behind-the-scenes
    computation for a Flash based prototype. That is, the Flash handles the
    UI and the user interaction but any computation is done *on the client
    machine* by ASP.Net pages and web services called from ActionScript in
    the Flash. One of these is "Play" which plays sound files on the client
    machine where the file-type is such that Flash cannot play them
    directly. The call has this format:

    http://localhost/Voicemails/Play.aspx?id=060628.wav

    What I'd like to do is add another call of the form

    http://localhost/Voicemails/Play.aspx?id=060628.wav&stop=true

    or

    http://localhost/Voicemails/Stop.aspx?id=060628.wav

    that would stop the playback of the file. To do this I'd need to store
    a reference to the running SoundPlayer instance between calls to web
    pages or web service functions. I realise that usually this is a bad
    idea, but since this is running in IIS on the client PC and has only
    one user (the Flash app) the usual scaling issues do not apply. How do
    I do this?

    Thanks,

    Tim.

    , Sep 14, 2006