Strange applet behaviour on Windows XP

Knute Johnson

Lew said:
No, F7. Due to a hardware failure I do not have a working DVD ROM for a
few days.

No. Link?

2.0.0.8

F7 is a little different. The Xinerama fix is specific to F8. With F7
or F8 and Sun's Java you need to have loaded compat-libstdc++-33. The
plugin will show in 'about:plugins' but won't work without the library
above. I really like using the JPackage RPMs to set up the alternatives.

I've posted a page for setting up Sun Java on F8;

http://knutejohnson.com/sun-java-on-F8.html

I don't know why this has to be so hard but it is. You would think that
Sun would help out a little and I guess they are with the open source
business. F8 has icedtea, which is the open source Java. It's missing
Java Sound but other than that seems to work although I'm having some
applet problems with it.

Wayne

Knute said:
F7 is a little different. The Xinerama fix is specific to F8. With F7
or F8 and Sun's Java you need to have loaded compat-libstdc++-33. The
plugin will show in 'about:plugins' but won't work without the library
above. I really like using the JPackage RPMs to set up the alternatives.

I've posted a page for setting up Sun Java on F8;

http://knutejohnson.com/sun-java-on-F8.html

I don't know why this has to be so hard but it is. You would think that
Sun would help out a little and I guess they are with the open source
business. F8 has icedtea, which is the open source Java. It's missing
Java Sound but other than that seems to work although I'm having some
applet problems with it.

Quick question: When using alternatives, which "generic name" or names
do I want to config? I think I just want "alternatives --config javac
since I think that changes all the others too. I'm not sure and I'm
not in a position to try it.

-Wayne

Knute Johnson

Wayne said:
Quick question: When using alternatives, which "generic name" or names
do I want to config? I think I just want "alternatives --config javac
since I think that changes all the others too. I'm not sure and I'm
not in a position to try it.

-Wayne

'java' is what they all end up under.

Qu0ll

Andrew Thompson said:
Nigel Wade wrote:
..

That is not really the point.

What about ..
- Sun's lack of support to get Java cleared for the latest XP
security so trusted applets can again acces the local
file-system?
- Sun's lack of support for fixing the bug where some OS/FF
combos. will cause a page reload on 'scroll-up'?
- that applets take 'forever to load on' ..what was at the top
of this thread - IE/XP?
- ...and so on

The real issue here, is Sun's support for applets at all.

I think Sun now consider applets to have been a bad
idea, and would deprecate them if they dared, but their
lack of active support to fix the plethora of open applet
bugs also says 'web start' to me.

Huh? What is the 'same' with web start?

It comes on different platforms? It is not suported
on all platforms? It also has bugs/quirks? (I'd say
'yes' to all three of the above. But I am not sure
what you are refering to.)

Actually, I have found Web Start to be quite problematic as well. My pet
peeve is when you try to launch an application and after a few minutes a
small window pops up (usually behind the browser where it is not visible)
saying that the application failed to launch. It gives no details as to why
and no remedial action can be taken. This has happened a number of times
for me as I have tried to launch apps on various sites (but don't ask me to
list them just now).

--
And loving it,

-Q
(e-mail address removed)
(Replace the "SixFour" with numbers to email me)

Nigel Wade

Knute said:
F7 is a little different. The Xinerama fix is specific to F8. With F7
or F8 and Sun's Java you need to have loaded compat-libstdc++-33. The
plugin will show in 'about:plugins' but won't work without the library
above.

Ah, I'd not considered that possibility. I normally just run ldd against the
plugin to see what libraries it needs and whether the run time linker can find
them. libstdc++ is not shown as a specific dependency. However, I normally
install the full development (including 32bit compatibility) and legacy
software support package groups, part of which is this package. That's probably
why the plugin works for me.
I really like using the JPackage RPMs to set up the alternatives.

I've posted a page for setting up Sun Java on F8;

http://knutejohnson.com/sun-java-on-F8.html

I don't know why this has to be so hard but it is. You would think that
Sun would help out a little and I guess they are with the open source
business.

There is no love lost between RedHat (the sponsors of Fedora) and Sun. Add to
that that Fedora is strictly FOSS only (to the determent of the distro, IMHO)
and won't entertain including Sun's Java until it is fully FOSS, there is
little encouragement for Sun to assist in making their Java work on a platform
which is (or was) anti-Sun.
F8 has icedtea, which is the open source Java. It's missing
Java Sound but other than that seems to work although I'm having some
applet problems with it.

Does it have the same applet problems which make gcj untenable, principally that
it has no security manager?

I would like to see a single Java which all the Linux distros could package and
maintain together. It would certainly help move toward the write once, run
anywhere ideal which is supposed to be what Java is about. Hopefully this one
step closer now that RedHat have signed up to Sun's OpenJDK agreement, and
RedHat and Sun can pull in the same direction for a change.

Andrew Thompson

Qu0ll said:
[quoted text clipped - 31 lines]
'yes' to all three of the above. But I am not sure
what you are refering to.)

Actually, I have found Web Start to be quite problematic as well.

"Actually, I have found applets to be quite problematic as well"
..My pet
peeve is when you try to launch an application and after a few minutes a
small window pops up (usually behind the browser where it is not visible)
saying that the application failed to launch.

"My pet peeve is when ... small message appears in the browser
status bar saying 'not inited'. That is *assuming* the browser
status bar is configured to show at that moment.."
..It gives no details as to why
and no remedial action can be taken.

'ditto' (change JWS for applet)
..This has happened a number of times
for me as I have tried to launch apps on various sites (but don't ask me to
list them just now).

'ditto' (change JWS for applet)

Now your excuses are becoming pathetic.

Your statements apply to both, probably even more so
to applets than JWS.

There are remedies for both, mostly involved around, and
in control of, the deployer. That is *you*. If you deploy a
broken-ass applet, JWS project, or 'plain jain' application,
stuff will break, and in ways not immediately obvious
to the user.

*We* as developers can pop consoles for applets or JWS
applications and send the trace level up to 5 to find out
what is happening, if need be. During development is the
time that should be done, to reduce the possibility of a
'no information crash and burn' once the app. goes public.

If you want to pursue applets, fair enough. Just do
not think that such pathetically silly comments will
go unchallenged.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

Qu0ll

[snip]
*We* as developers can pop consoles for applets or JWS
applications and send the trace level up to 5 to find out
what is happening, if need be. During development is the
time that should be done, to reduce the possibility of a
'no information crash and burn' once the app. goes public.

If you want to pursue applets, fair enough. Just do
not think that such pathetically silly comments will
go unchallenged.

You have only confirmed my point: both JAWS and applets can be problematic.
It depends entirely on the quality of the product. You cannot expect
comments to the effect that Web Start is the bee's knees and applets are the
axis of evil to go unchallenged.