Strange "back" button effects!

harry

Using IE 5.5 (sp2) - no other browser compatability is neccessary!

When the user makes a change to a text field I record the "dirty" event in a
hidden text field i.e value set to "true". As soon as this field is "true"
several extra buttons are made visible/invisible.

When the page is submitted the data may result in errors which are
dispplayed on an error page. On this page there's a button that just does a
onClick="javascript: history.back();".

During this reload I need to be able to determine if the dirty field was set
so as to show/hide the appropriate buttons. The trouble is during loading
the value of the field is blank but when the page is displayed it is
"true" - too late to set the buttons!

Any ideas?

thanks

harry