Strange Behavior ASPnet_Wp.exe

thomson

Hi all,
i have opened my application and did some work, i could see
i the task manager the Mem usage is 76,476K, I closed my application
and made sure that no instance of .net is running, but when i saw that
task manager after closing all the application , in the task manager it
still shows 76,476K, Would somebody please explain me why the memory is
not released.

Thanks in Advance

Regards

thomson

Erik Funkenbusch

Hi all,
i have opened my application and did some work, i could see
i the task manager the Mem usage is 76,476K, I closed my application
and made sure that no instance of .net is running, but when i saw that
task manager after closing all the application , in the task manager it
still shows 76,476K, Would somebody please explain me why the memory is
not released.

It's not strange at all. You merely have a misunderstanding of the way web
applications work.

HTTP is a stateless protocol. What this means is that there is no way for
the app to "know" if you have closed your browser or not. All it can know
is if you haven't interacted with it in a given amount of time. This
amount of time is configurable in the application pool (under IIS6) or in
other ways under earlier versions.