Strange behavior in PythonWin IDE

Anders Eriksson

Hello!

I'm using ActivePython 2.3.2 build 232 on Windows 2000 and I have noticed a
strange behavior in PythonWin IDE (win32all build 163)

I'm from Sweden and we have a couple of letters in our alphabet that isn't
part of ASCII and the strangeness is about one of them

When I use the letter å (å) then the next character is eaten! Then
when I enter the next character (the second after å) the last one appears.

E.g.
I want to write the word: "låna"
I enter: "lå
I enter: n ,but it won't show
I enter: a , and the n appears
I enter: " , and a s appears
So in the editor I now have: "låns

If I then enter a " PythonWin thinks that I'm beginning a new string and
changes the color.

If I then save the file and open it in another editor. Then I have the
correct word: "låna"

But if I run the program from the command prompt I get this error/warning

"C:\Documents and Settings\ame\My Documents\My Scripts>python test.py
sys:1: DeprecationWarning: Non-ASCII character '\xe5' in file test.py on
line 1, but no encoding declared; see
http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0263.html for details

What is the error and what can I do to fix it?

// Anders

Gilles Lenfant

Anders said:
[...]

This bug (and others related to charsets) has been submitted some months
ago...

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=716708&group_id=78018&atid=551954

Perhaps you can help adding other bug scenarios.

Cheers

John Roth

Anders Eriksson said:
[...]

There are two separate issues here:

1. To eliminate the depreciation warning, you do need to put in the
correct pep-0263 character set declaration line. I believe this will
become a fatal error in 2.4

However, the other problem isn't a Python problem as far as I know:
I believe the editor portion is written in C++. I could be wrong on
that, but please try reproducing the problem under IDLE.

John Roth

Anders Eriksson

This bug (and others related to charsets) has been submitted some months
ago...
OK, I didn't know that PythonWin was on SourceForge, but I will try there
instead.

Thank You !

// Anders

Anders Eriksson

1. To eliminate the depreciation warning, you do need to put in the
correct pep-0263 character set declaration line. I believe this will
become a fatal error in 2.4
Ok! I understand how to enter the encoding line, but I can't find any list
of which encodings that are legal. Is there such a list?

// Anders

Christopher Koppler

Ok! I understand how to enter the encoding line, but I can't find any list
of which encodings that are legal. Is there such a list?

The Python Library Reference, Section 4.9.2: Standard Encodings

In Sweden, as in most of western Europe, you're probably looking for
latin_1 or iso-8859-15 (the same with Euro currency symbol).

Christopher Koppler

The Python Library Reference, Section 4.9.2: Standard Encodings

In Sweden, as in most of western Europe, you're probably looking for
latin_1 or iso-8859-15 (the same with Euro currency symbol).

Or, since you're on Windows, cp1252...