strange behavior on windows: ruby.exe: illegal switch in RUBYOPT: -V (RuntimeError)

Alon Nisser

I'm using ruby on windows (installed from ruby installer). most of the time ruby based apps such as vagrant, rspec, puppet etc work fine

but once in a while they all start to crash with this error:

ruby.exe: illegal switch in RUBYOPT: -V (RuntimeError)

when I start a new command console - everything there works fine (for a while). this is getting really annoying. and I can't get answers on google (all of my search results show -F and not -V like this error

this is the ruby version:

ruby 1.8.7 (2013-06-27 patchlevel 374) [i386-mingw32]

installed in :

C:\Ruby187>

win version: win 7 enterprise sp1 64 bit

Thanks for the help!

Simon Krahnke

* Alon Nisser said:
I'm using ruby on windows (installed from ruby installer). most of the time ruby based apps such as vagrant, rspec, puppet etc work fine

but once in a while they all start to crash with this error:

ruby.exe: illegal switch in RUBYOPT: -V (RuntimeError)

when I start a new command console - everything there works fine (for a while). this is getting really annoying. and I can't get answers on google (all of my search results show -F and not -V like this error

this is the ruby version:

ruby 1.8.7 (2013-06-27 patchlevel 374) [i386-mingw32]

installed in :

C:\Ruby187>

win version: win 7 enterprise sp1 64 bit

You should look into the environment variable "RUBYOPT".

mfg, simon .... l

Alon Nisser

I'm using ruby on windows (installed from ruby installer). most of the time ruby based apps such as vagrant, rspec, puppet etc work fine
but once in a while they all start to crash with this error:
ruby.exe: illegal switch in RUBYOPT: -V (RuntimeError)
when I start a new command console - everything there works fine (for a while). this is getting really annoying. and I can't get answers on google (all of my search results show -F and not -V like this error
this is the ruby version:
ruby 1.8.7 (2013-06-27 patchlevel 374) [i386-mingw32]
installed in :
C:\Ruby187>

win version: win 7 enterprise sp1 64 bit

You should look into the environment variable "RUBYOPT".

mfg, simon .... l

when I check ```set RUBYOPT``` I get a "enviroment variable $RUBYOPT not defined"