Strange behaviour

Angelo Secchi

Hi,
I'm running Python 2.3.4 [GCC 3.3.4 20040623 (Gentoo Linux 3.3.4-r1,
ssp-3.3.2-2, pie-8.7.6)] on a dual opteron (64bit) machine with Gentoo
2004.2 and a 2.6.9 kernel. I've noticed the following strage (at least
to me, not an expert) behavior

CODE 1 Numeric 23.1

from Numeric import *
from RandomArray import *

g = standard_normal(10)
for i in g:
print i

OUTPUT 1

1.59079927293e-314
1.5752918018e-314
5.23806804853e-315
1.58228191666e-314
5.11159528165e-315
5.31543285917e-315
1.58655562847e-314
4.89784284909e-315
1.57681709855e-314
1.58297641881e-314

CODE 2 Numarray (latest cvs)

from numarray.random_array import *

g = standard_normal(10)
for i in g:
print i

OUTPUT 2

-1.11763262749
-0.976676821709
0.67619407177
0.0889070928097
-0.120251983404
-0.0151885077357
0.570596694946
-1.62964510918
-1.32629060745
-1.05354857445

Any idea about the origin of this problem?
Thanks
angelo

Lonnie Princehouse

Any idea about the origin of this problem?

My setup is identical except with Xeons instead of Opterons, and I get
the expected result with Numeric 23.1. This indicates that it's
either a 64-bit bug with Numeric 23.1 (which looks like it's been
fixed in your latest-cvs test), or the ebuild is compiling wrong. The
latter seems unlikely, but building 23.1 from the tarball instead of
emerging it, and then running your test again, would be decisive.