Strange behaviour

Discussion in 'Python' started by Angelo Secchi, Nov 16, 2004.

  1. Hi,
    I'm running Python 2.3.4 [GCC 3.3.4 20040623 (Gentoo Linux 3.3.4-r1,
    ssp-3.3.2-2, pie-8.7.6)] on a dual opteron (64bit) machine with Gentoo
    2004.2 and a 2.6.9 kernel. I've noticed the following strage (at least
    to me, not an expert) behavior

    CODE 1 Numeric 23.1

    from Numeric import *
    from RandomArray import *

    g = standard_normal(10)
    for i in g:
    print i

    OUTPUT 1

    1.59079927293e-314
    1.5752918018e-314
    5.23806804853e-315
    1.58228191666e-314
    5.11159528165e-315
    5.31543285917e-315
    1.58655562847e-314
    4.89784284909e-315
    1.57681709855e-314
    1.58297641881e-314

    CODE 2 Numarray (latest cvs)

    from numarray.random_array import *

    g = standard_normal(10)
    for i in g:
    print i

    OUTPUT 2

    -1.11763262749
    -0.976676821709
    0.67619407177
    0.0889070928097
    -0.120251983404
    -0.0151885077357
    0.570596694946
    -1.62964510918
    -1.32629060745
    -1.05354857445

    Any idea about the origin of this problem?
    Thanks
    angelo

    Angelo Secchi PGP Key ID:EA280337

    Angelo Secchi, Nov 16, 2004

  2. > Any idea about the origin of this problem?

    My setup is identical except with Xeons instead of Opterons, and I get
    the expected result with Numeric 23.1. This indicates that it's
    either a 64-bit bug with Numeric 23.1 (which looks like it's been
    fixed in your latest-cvs test), or the ebuild is compiling wrong. The
    latter seems unlikely, but building 23.1 from the tarball instead of
    emerging it, and then running your test again, would be decisive.

    Lonnie Princehouse, Nov 16, 2004