Strange caching behaviour with ASP.net 2.0

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?RGFycmVuIE5ld3Rvbg==?=, Jun 23, 2006.

  1. Last month we upgraded our production server from .net 1.1 to 2.0. We have
    seen some odd behaviour that we do not know how to fix.

    It seems that Cache is reset or cleared. We have 2 or 3 global entries in
    the the cache with the NotRemovable flag set. I have set up a callback that
    writes an entry to the event log to see if the Cache is cleared. It appears
    that it is. This happens (randomly) several times a day. I changed our global
    entries to use Application state however this just seemed to amplify the
    problem.

    Could this be a bug with 2.0 or does a server setting need changing
    somewhere (it is a windows 2003 server)?

    I do not know if the cache is being reset, causing the application to crash,
    or something is causing the application to crash, resulting in the cache
    being reset (I have added the LegacyUnhandledExceptionPolicy enabled="true"
    attribute to the web.config with no joy)

    At the same time that an entry is written to say the cache has been cleared,
    the performance monitor registers requests /second at 286,000,000

    If anyone has experienced similar issues, can shed some light or point me in
    the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

    Kind Regards,

    Darren

    =?Utf-8?B?RGFycmVuIE5ld3Rvbg==?=, Jun 23, 2006

  2. check the event log for asp.net recycle events. maybe you app is using too
    much memeory. you should never count on a cache persistance, the fetch logic
    should always handle cache empty case.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\), Jun 23, 2006

  3. Thanks for your reply.

    The logic always checks if the cache item exists and repopulates if
    necessary. The code worked fine in 1.1 and didn't change when we moved to
    2.0. The cache doesn't appear to be repopulating - if an exception occurs the
    details are e-mailed to us. The details we receive would suggest that the
    cache is empty.

    I have been looking through the event log but there is nothing to suggest
    asp.net is being recycled.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGFycmVuIE5ld3Rvbg==?=, Jun 23, 2006