Strange cell colors

tim

I am developing a JSP application that has some cells with the normal
default white background and some cells with a grey background.
It works fine on my computer but other people get some of the cells
showing up as yellow.
Is there something that would override the colors I am specifying?
Some application or something?
I'm sure I'm not the first person to come up against this.

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit (e-mail address removed):
I am developing a JSP application that has some cells with the normal
default white background and some cells with a grey background.

Really? And we're supposed to guess the URL from your name, or from your
email address?
It works fine on my computer but other people get some of the cells
showing up as yellow.

That's really mystic, but wait a second, I will cast a few spells...

....right, the error is at line 42. Of something.
Is there something that would override the colors I am specifying?

Quite possibly - an evil Luser has enchanted those people's computers, using
a wicked User Style Sheet, with the powerful !important magic.
Some application or something?
Undoubtedly.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to come up against this.

Against a stone wall? Certainly you aren't. If you'd care to stop hitting
your head on the wall harder, consider posting the URL.

tim

Scripsit (e-mail address removed):

Really? And we're supposed to guess the URL from your name, or from your
email address?

That's really mystic, but wait a second, I will cast a few spells...

...right, the error is at line 42. Of something.

Quite possibly - an evil Luser has enchanted those people's computers, using
a wicked User Style Sheet, with the powerful !important magic.

Against a stone wall? Certainly you aren't. If you'd care to stop hitting
your head on the wall harder, consider posting the URL.

Listen stupid, I wasn't asking anyone to look at my URL. As a matter
of fact, point one is that it is still being developed and point two
is that it is an intranet application so you wouldn't be able to look
at it anyway, stupid.
Also, I know it has nothing to do with my application, I was asking
if there was some other application or some IE settings that would
cause this. Of course you knew that because you can read!! Can't you,
stupid!!

Jonathan N. Little

Listen stupid, I wasn't asking anyone to look at my URL. As a matter
of fact, point one is that it is still being developed and point two
is that it is an intranet application so you wouldn't be able to look
at it anyway, stupid.

And you figure we would know why 'cuz? This is alt.html not the psychic
hot-line.
Also, I know it has nothing to do with my application, I was asking
if there was some other application or some IE settings that would
cause this.

Anyway you know this *has* to be something other than your markup 'cuz?
Of course you knew that because you can read!! Can't you,
stupid!!

Oh, I am sure he understood what you wrote, what he was implying was
what you wrote was senseless. But since you are certain your problem has
nothing to do with your markup (which we cannot see) and must be some
browser setting (which we cannot see) or other application on your
system (which we cannot see) then you are on your way! Good luck
figuring it out!

Rik

Listen stupid, I wasn't asking anyone to look at my URL. As a matter
of fact, point one is that it is still being developed and point two
is that it is an intranet application so you wouldn't be able to look
at it anyway, stupid.
Also, I know it has nothing to do with my application, I was asking
if there was some other application or some IE settings that would
cause this. Of course you knew that because you can read!! Can't you,
stupid!!

Well, enlighten us.
I have here a div element that clearly has a margin-top of 12px set on it.
It doesn't get rendered like that in the browser. Please inform me how
this happened, without further information.

tim

Probably, but we're apparently too stupid to know.

HTH. HAND. <plonk>

Apparently so. I assumed since you wrote html, you would be familiar
with settings in IE or other browsers that would alter the ouput. Or
maybe some applications that do likewise.
Don't worry, I'll try to enlighten you when I find out.
Maybe the group should be called beginner's html or amateur's html or
something like that.

tim

Apparently so. I assumed since you wrote html, you would be familiar
with settings in IE or other browsers that would alter the ouput. Or
maybe some applications that do likewise.
Don't worry, I'll try to enlighten you when I find out.
Maybe the group should be called beginner's html or amateur's html or
something like that.

I guess the problem I am having is in understanding why some people
feel compelled to post a reply when they don't have an answer. If you
don't know the answer, don't post! If you need clarification or have
some question to ask that might lead to an answer, ask it.
Instead, Jerrka decides to make fun of my posting and, in doing so,
look like an ass.
Most of the rest of you decided to do the same.
I guess that's what happens when kids get on the internet.

tim

Well, enlighten us.
I have here a div element that clearly has a margin-top of 12px set on it.
It doesn't get rendered like that in the browser. Please inform me how
this happened, without further information.

Well, Rik, in a normal situation, I wouldn't even reply since I don't
know the answer. Since you are asking me specifically, I am writing
this posting to explain this.
I realize many people don't know the answer. Why some feel compelled
to write something saying they don't know the answer is a what makes
me wonder about them.
As I said, i my situation this is occurring on some computers using IE
as the browser. I know it has nothing to do with my JSP because
yellows and greens don't just show up out of thin air and nowhere in
my code to I specify those colours. There must be some application or
some setting in IE that causes this.
I was just hoping someone had come across it before and could save me
some time investigating.
I'm sorry people in this newsgroup feel compelled to insult me
ridicule my question based on their lack of reading comprehension
skills.

tim

Well, enlighten us.
I have here a div element that clearly has a margin-top of 12px set on it.
It doesn't get rendered like that in the browser. Please inform me how
this happened, without further information.

Well, Rik, in a normal situation, I wouldn't even reply since I don't
know the answer. Since you are asking me specifically, I am writing
this posting to explain this.
I realize many people don't know the answer. Why some feel compelled
to write something saying they don't know the answer is a what makes
me wonder about them.
As I said, in my situation this is occurring on some computers using
[...]

as the browser. Others that are displaying the exact same page are
not
getting these colours. I know it has nothing to do with my JSP
because
yellows and greens don't just show up out of thin air and nowhere in
my code do I specify those colours and if it were in the code, it
would be
happening to all computers displaying this information. There must be
some
application or some setting in IE or in the operating system that
causes this.
I was just hoping someone had come across it before and could save me
some time investigating.
I'm sorry people in this newsgroup feel compelled to insult me
ridicule my question based on their lack of reading comprehension
skills.

Jonathan N. Little

I guess the problem I am having is in understanding why some people
feel compelled to post a reply when they don't have an answer. If you
don't know the answer, don't post! If you need clarification or have
some question to ask that might lead to an answer, ask it.
Instead, Jerrka decides to make fun of my posting and, in doing so,
look like an ass.
Most of the rest of you decided to do the same.
I guess that's what happens when kids get on the internet.

Okay cannot stand your whining anymore.

Most likely what you are witnessing is *not* some browser setting but a
error in your markup, and the browser is desperately "trying to make
sense" of the ambiguity and that is cause the visual anomaly. Different
browsers may "guess" differently and come to a different conclusion.
Therefore it can seem to be a browser related error where in fact it is
just an error in your markup. But since you insist on making us "guess"
on the markup is that causes the anomaly that you are witnessing we can
only "guess" on what might be the cause. Since *so many* newbies ask
questions like yours; with no URL to the page that is gives the trouble,
and then they get argumentative when asked for a URL and more info...
well, let's say its a bit frustrating.

tim

[...]
application or some setting in IE or in the operating system thatmicrosoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
causes this.
I was just hoping someone had come across it before and could save me
some time investigating.
I'm sorry people in this newsgroup feel compelled to insult me
ridicule my question based on their lack of reading comprehension
skills.- Hide quoted text -

Maybe Jukka can go to
microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser to see how adults
handle my question.

Steve Pugh

microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser to see how adults
handle my question.
From what you posted there I see that the problem is probably nothing
to do with table cells but is in fact to do with text inputs. In which
case the answer is to do with the Google toolbar.

If you give incomplete and inaccurate information, you get responses
asking for more information. If you refuse to provide such information
you get no help. Your problem, not ours.

Steve