Strange cell colors

Discussion in 'HTML' started by tim@nocomment.com, Feb 15, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I am developing a JSP application that has some cells with the normal
    default white background and some cells with a grey background.
    It works fine on my computer but other people get some of the cells
    showing up as yellow.
    Is there something that would override the colors I am specifying?
    Some application or something?
    I'm sure I'm not the first person to come up against this.
    , Feb 15, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Scripsit :

    > I am developing a JSP application that has some cells with the normal
    > default white background and some cells with a grey background.


    Really? And we're supposed to guess the URL from your name, or from your
    email address?

    > It works fine on my computer but other people get some of the cells
    > showing up as yellow.


    That's really mystic, but wait a second, I will cast a few spells...

    ....right, the error is at line 42. Of something.

    > Is there something that would override the colors I am specifying?


    Quite possibly - an evil Luser has enchanted those people's computers, using
    a wicked User Style Sheet, with the powerful !important magic.

    > Some application or something?


    Undoubtedly.

    > I'm sure I'm not the first person to come up against this.


    Against a stone wall? Certainly you aren't. If you'd care to stop hitting
    your head on the wall harder, consider posting the URL.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Feb 15, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Guest

    On Feb 15, 6:35 pm, "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:
    > Scripsit :
    >
    > > I am developing a JSP application that has some cells with the normal
    > > default white background and some cells with a grey background.

    >
    > Really? And we're supposed to guess the URL from your name, or from your
    > email address?
    >
    > > It works fine on my computer but other people get some of the cells
    > > showing up as yellow.

    >
    > That's really mystic, but wait a second, I will cast a few spells...
    >
    > ...right, the error is at line 42. Of something.
    >
    > > Is there something that would override the colors I am specifying?

    >
    > Quite possibly - an evil Luser has enchanted those people's computers, using
    > a wicked User Style Sheet, with the powerful !important magic.
    >
    > > Some application or something?

    >
    > Undoubtedly.
    >
    > > I'm sure I'm not the first person to come up against this.

    >
    > Against a stone wall? Certainly you aren't. If you'd care to stop hitting
    > your head on the wall harder, consider posting the URL.
    >
    > --
    > Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/


    Listen stupid, I wasn't asking anyone to look at my URL. As a matter
    of fact, point one is that it is still being developed and point two
    is that it is an intranet application so you wouldn't be able to look
    at it anyway, stupid.
    Also, I know it has nothing to do with my application, I was asking
    if there was some other application or some IE settings that would
    cause this. Of course you knew that because you can read!! Can't you,
    stupid!!
    , Feb 16, 2007
    #3
  4. wrote:
    <snip>
    > Listen stupid, I wasn't asking anyone to look at my URL. As a matter
    > of fact, point one is that it is still being developed and point two
    > is that it is an intranet application so you wouldn't be able to look
    > at it anyway, stupid.


    And you figure we would know why 'cuz? This is alt.html not the psychic
    hot-line.

    > Also, I know it has nothing to do with my application, I was asking
    > if there was some other application or some IE settings that would
    > cause this.


    Anyway you know this *has* to be something other than your markup 'cuz?

    > Of course you knew that because you can read!! Can't you,
    > stupid!!
    >


    Oh, I am sure he understood what you wrote, what he was implying was
    what you wrote was senseless. But since you are certain your problem has
    nothing to do with your markup (which we cannot see) and must be some
    browser setting (which we cannot see) or other application on your
    system (which we cannot see) then you are on your way! Good luck
    figuring it out!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Feb 16, 2007
    #4
  5. Rik Guest

    On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 16:38:53 +0100,
    <> wrote:
    > Listen stupid, I wasn't asking anyone to look at my URL. As a matter
    > of fact, point one is that it is still being developed and point two
    > is that it is an intranet application so you wouldn't be able to look
    > at it anyway, stupid.
    > Also, I know it has nothing to do with my application, I was asking
    > if there was some other application or some IE settings that would
    > cause this. Of course you knew that because you can read!! Can't you,
    > stupid!!


    Well, enlighten us.
    I have here a div element that clearly has a margin-top of 12px set on it.
    It doesn't get rendered like that in the browser. Please inform me how
    this happened, without further information.
    --
    Rik Wasmus
    Rik, Feb 16, 2007
    #5
  6. Andy Dingley Guest

    On 15 Feb, 22:22, "" <> wrote:

    > Is there something that would override the colors I am specifying?


    Probably, but we're apparently too stupid to know.

    HTH. HAND. <plonk>
    Andy Dingley, Feb 16, 2007
    #6
  7. Guest

    On Feb 16, 11:33 am, "Andy Dingley" <> wrote:
    > On 15 Feb, 22:22, "" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Is there something that would override the colors I am specifying?

    >
    > Probably, but we're apparently too stupid to know.
    >
    > HTH. HAND. <plonk>


    Apparently so. I assumed since you wrote html, you would be familiar
    with settings in IE or other browsers that would alter the ouput. Or
    maybe some applications that do likewise.
    Don't worry, I'll try to enlighten you when I find out.
    Maybe the group should be called beginner's html or amateur's html or
    something like that.
    , Feb 17, 2007
    #7
  8. Guest

    On Feb 17, 10:34 am, "" <>
    wrote:
    > On Feb 16, 11:33 am, "Andy Dingley" <> wrote:
    >
    > > On 15 Feb, 22:22, "" <> wrote:

    >
    > > > Is there something that would override the colors I am specifying?

    >
    > > Probably, but we're apparently too stupid to know.

    >
    > > HTH. HAND. <plonk>

    >
    > Apparently so. I assumed since you wrote html, you would be familiar
    > with settings in IE or other browsers that would alter the ouput. Or
    > maybe some applications that do likewise.
    > Don't worry, I'll try to enlighten you when I find out.
    > Maybe the group should be called beginner's html or amateur's html or
    > something like that.



    I guess the problem I am having is in understanding why some people
    feel compelled to post a reply when they don't have an answer. If you
    don't know the answer, don't post! If you need clarification or have
    some question to ask that might lead to an answer, ask it.
    Instead, Jerrka decides to make fun of my posting and, in doing so,
    look like an ass.
    Most of the rest of you decided to do the same.
    I guess that's what happens when kids get on the internet.
    , Feb 17, 2007
    #8
  9. Guest

    On Feb 16, 11:13 am, Rik <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 16:38:53 +0100,
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > > Listen stupid, I wasn't asking anyone to look at my URL. As a matter
    > > of fact, point one is that it is still being developed and point two
    > > is that it is an intranet application so you wouldn't be able to look
    > > at it anyway, stupid.
    > > Also, I know it has nothing to do with my application, I was asking
    > > if there was some other application or some IE settings that would
    > > cause this. Of course you knew that because you can read!! Can't you,
    > > stupid!!

    >
    > Well, enlighten us.
    > I have here a div element that clearly has a margin-top of 12px set on it.
    > It doesn't get rendered like that in the browser. Please inform me how
    > this happened, without further information.
    > --
    > Rik Wasmus


    Well, Rik, in a normal situation, I wouldn't even reply since I don't
    know the answer. Since you are asking me specifically, I am writing
    this posting to explain this.
    I realize many people don't know the answer. Why some feel compelled
    to write something saying they don't know the answer is a what makes
    me wonder about them.
    As I said, i my situation this is occurring on some computers using IE
    as the browser. I know it has nothing to do with my JSP because
    yellows and greens don't just show up out of thin air and nowhere in
    my code to I specify those colours. There must be some application or
    some setting in IE that causes this.
    I was just hoping someone had come across it before and could save me
    some time investigating.
    I'm sorry people in this newsgroup feel compelled to insult me
    ridicule my question based on their lack of reading comprehension
    skills.
    , Feb 17, 2007
    #9
  10. Guest

    On Feb 16, 11:13 am, Rik <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 16:38:53 +0100,
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > > Listen stupid, I wasn't asking anyone to look at my URL. As a matter
    > > of fact, point one is that it is still being developed and point two
    > > is that it is an intranet application so you wouldn't be able to look
    > > at it anyway, stupid.
    > > Also, I know it has nothing to do with my application, I was asking
    > > if there was some other application or some IE settings that would
    > > cause this. Of course you knew that because you can read!! Can't you,
    > > stupid!!

    >
    > Well, enlighten us.
    > I have here a div element that clearly has a margin-top of 12px set on it.
    > It doesn't get rendered like that in the browser. Please inform me how
    > this happened, without further information.
    > --
    > Rik Wasmus


    Well, Rik, in a normal situation, I wouldn't even reply since I don't
    know the answer. Since you are asking me specifically, I am writing
    this posting to explain this.
    I realize many people don't know the answer. Why some feel compelled
    to write something saying they don't know the answer is a what makes
    me wonder about them.
    As I said, in my situation this is occurring on some computers using
    IE
    as the browser. I know it has nothing to do with my JSP because
    yellows and greens don't just show up out of thin air and nowhere in
    my code to I specify those colours. There must be some application or
    some setting in IE that causes this.
    I was just hoping someone had come across it before and could save me
    some time investigating.
    I'm sorry people in this newsgroup feel compelled to insult me
    ridicule my question based on their lack of reading comprehension
    skills.
    , Feb 17, 2007
    #10
  11. Guest

    On Feb 16, 11:13 am, Rik <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 16:38:53 +0100,
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > > Listen stupid, I wasn't asking anyone to look at my URL. As a matter
    > > of fact, point one is that it is still being developed and point two
    > > is that it is an intranet application so you wouldn't be able to look
    > > at it anyway, stupid.
    > > Also, I know it has nothing to do with my application, I was asking
    > > if there was some other application or some IE settings that would
    > > cause this. Of course you knew that because you can read!! Can't you,
    > > stupid!!

    >
    > Well, enlighten us.
    > I have here a div element that clearly has a margin-top of 12px set on it.
    > It doesn't get rendered like that in the browser. Please inform me how
    > this happened, without further information.
    > --
    > Rik Wasmus


    Well, Rik, in a normal situation, I wouldn't even reply since I don't
    know the answer. Since you are asking me specifically, I am writing
    this posting to explain this.
    I realize many people don't know the answer. Why some feel compelled
    to write something saying they don't know the answer is a what makes
    me wonder about them.
    As I said, in my situation this is occurring on some computers using
    IE
    as the browser. Others that are displaying the exact same page are
    not
    getting these colours. I know it has nothing to do with my JSP
    because
    yellows and greens don't just show up out of thin air and nowhere in
    my code do I specify those colours and if it were in the code, it
    would be
    happening to all computers displaying this information. There must be
    some
    application or some setting in IE or in the operating system that
    causes this.
    I was just hoping someone had come across it before and could save me
    some time investigating.
    I'm sorry people in this newsgroup feel compelled to insult me
    ridicule my question based on their lack of reading comprehension
    skills.
    , Feb 17, 2007
    #11
  12. wrote:
    > On Feb 17, 10:34 am, "" <>
    > wrote:
    >> On Feb 16, 11:33 am, "Andy Dingley" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 15 Feb, 22:22, "" <> wrote:
    >>>> Is there something that would override the colors I am specifying?
    >>> Probably, but we're apparently too stupid to know.
    >>> HTH. HAND. <plonk>

    >> Apparently so. I assumed since you wrote html, you would be familiar
    >> with settings in IE or other browsers that would alter the ouput. Or
    >> maybe some applications that do likewise.
    >> Don't worry, I'll try to enlighten you when I find out.
    >> Maybe the group should be called beginner's html or amateur's html or
    >> something like that.

    >
    >
    > I guess the problem I am having is in understanding why some people
    > feel compelled to post a reply when they don't have an answer. If you
    > don't know the answer, don't post! If you need clarification or have
    > some question to ask that might lead to an answer, ask it.
    > Instead, Jerrka decides to make fun of my posting and, in doing so,
    > look like an ass.
    > Most of the rest of you decided to do the same.
    > I guess that's what happens when kids get on the internet.
    >


    Okay cannot stand your whining anymore.

    Most likely what you are witnessing is *not* some browser setting but a
    error in your markup, and the browser is desperately "trying to make
    sense" of the ambiguity and that is cause the visual anomaly. Different
    browsers may "guess" differently and come to a different conclusion.
    Therefore it can seem to be a browser related error where in fact it is
    just an error in your markup. But since you insist on making us "guess"
    on the markup is that causes the anomaly that you are witnessing we can
    only "guess" on what might be the cause. Since *so many* newbies ask
    questions like yours; with no URL to the page that is gives the trouble,
    and then they get argumentative when asked for a URL and more info...
    well, let's say its a bit frustrating.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Feb 17, 2007
    #12
  13. Guest

    On Feb 17, 11:30 am, "" <>
    wrote:
    > On Feb 16, 11:13 am, Rik <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 16:38:53 +0100,

    >
    > > <> wrote:
    > > > Listen stupid, I wasn't asking anyone to look at my URL. As a matter
    > > > of fact, point one is that it is still being developed and point two
    > > > is that it is an intranet application so you wouldn't be able to look
    > > > at it anyway, stupid.
    > > > Also, I know it has nothing to do with my application, I was asking
    > > > if there was some other application or some IE settings that would
    > > > cause this. Of course you knew that because you can read!! Can't you,
    > > > stupid!!

    >
    > > Well, enlighten us.
    > > I have here a div element that clearly has a margin-top of 12px set on it.
    > > It doesn't get rendered like that in the browser. Please inform me how
    > > this happened, without further information.
    > > --
    > > Rik Wasmus

    >
    > Well, Rik, in a normal situation, I wouldn't even reply since I don't
    > know the answer. Since you are asking me specifically, I am writing
    > this posting to explain this.
    > I realize many people don't know the answer. Why some feel compelled
    > to write something saying they don't know the answer is a what makes
    > me wonder about them.
    > As I said, in my situation this is occurring on some computers using
    > IE
    > as the browser. Others that are displaying the exact same page are
    > not
    > getting these colours. I know it has nothing to do with my JSP
    > because
    > yellows and greens don't just show up out of thin air and nowhere in
    > my code do I specify those colours and if it were in the code, it
    > would be
    > happening to all computers displaying this information. There must be
    > some
    > application or some setting in IE or in the operating system thatmicrosoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
    > causes this.
    > I was just hoping someone had come across it before and could save me
    > some time investigating.
    > I'm sorry people in this newsgroup feel compelled to insult me
    > ridicule my question based on their lack of reading comprehension
    > skills.- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    Maybe Jukka can go to
    microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser to see how adults
    handle my question.
    , Feb 19, 2007
    #13
  14. Steve Pugh Guest

    On Feb 19, 3:46 am, "" <> wrote:

    > microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser to see how adults
    > handle my question.


    >From what you posted there I see that the problem is probably nothing

    to do with table cells but is in fact to do with text inputs. In which
    case the answer is to do with the Google toolbar.

    If you give incomplete and inaccurate information, you get responses
    asking for more information. If you refuse to provide such information
    you get no help. Your problem, not ours.

    Steve
    Steve Pugh, Feb 19, 2007
    #14
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Rob Meade

    Setting table cell colors?

    Rob Meade, Jun 6, 2004, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    3,079
    Rob Meade
    Jun 7, 2004
  2. Kristian Virkus
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    385
    Kristian Virkus
    Apr 10, 2004
  3. Jonathan N. Little

    Print tables with cell background colors

    Jonathan N. Little, Feb 8, 2007, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    674
    OmegaJunior
    Feb 11, 2007
  4. AAaron123

    TreeNode colors come from anchor colors

    AAaron123, Aug 7, 2008, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    526
    darrel
    Aug 7, 2008
  5. ZelluX
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,857
    Peter Otten
    Dec 1, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page