    http://www.johnjsal.com/columns.html (uses other styles too)
    http://www.johnjsal.com/menu-test.html (just uses the menu stuff, so it
    should work)

    John Salerno, Feb 9, 2006

  2. John Salerno wrote:
    > The problems keep coming! Ok, this used to work, and now suddenly it
    > doesn't. The images I'm using for this menu should have small squares to
    > the left of the text, but when I use them they don't. Why do they
    > disappear?
    >
    > Here are the images:
    > http://www.johnjsal.com/images/l1_down.jpg
    > http://www.johnjsal.com/images/l1_over.jpg
    >
    > And here are pages that use them in a menu:
    > http://www.johnjsal.com/columns.html (uses other styles too)
    > http://www.johnjsal.com/menu-test.html (just uses the menu stuff, so it
    > should work)

    Colors and backgrounds
    http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/colors.html#propdef-background-position

    Why don't you save yourself some grief and confusion and peruse the CSS
    properties and familiarize yourself first...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Feb 9, 2006

  3. John Salerno

    John Salerno Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > John Salerno wrote:
    >> The problems keep coming! Ok, this used to work, and now suddenly it
    >> doesn't. The images I'm using for this menu should have small squares
    >> to the left of the text, but when I use them they don't. Why do they
    >> disappear?
    >>
    >> Here are the images:
    >> http://www.johnjsal.com/images/l1_down.jpg
    >> http://www.johnjsal.com/images/l1_over.jpg
    >>
    >> And here are pages that use them in a menu:
    >> http://www.johnjsal.com/columns.html (uses other styles too)
    >> http://www.johnjsal.com/menu-test.html (just uses the menu stuff, so
    >> it should work)

    > Colors and backgrounds
    > http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/colors.html#propdef-background-position
    >
    > Why don't you save yourself some grief and confusion and peruse the CSS
    > properties and familiarize yourself first...

    I thought I had, and this had worked one time before. Now that I read
    your link, I remember I had to change some position properties to get it
    in the right spot, so that must have messed me all up.

    Thanks.

    John Salerno, Feb 9, 2006
  4. John Salerno

    John Salerno Guest

    John Salerno wrote:
    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >> John Salerno wrote:
    >>> The problems keep coming! Ok, this used to work, and now suddenly it
    >>> doesn't. The images I'm using for this menu should have small squares
    >>> to the left of the text, but when I use them they don't. Why do they
    >>> disappear?
    >>>
    >>> Here are the images:
    >>> http://www.johnjsal.com/images/l1_down.jpg
    >>> http://www.johnjsal.com/images/l1_over.jpg
    >>>
    >>> And here are pages that use them in a menu:
    >>> http://www.johnjsal.com/columns.html (uses other styles too)
    >>> http://www.johnjsal.com/menu-test.html (just uses the menu stuff, so
    >>> it should work)

    >> Colors and backgrounds
    >> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/colors.html#propdef-background-position
    >>
    >> Why don't you save yourself some grief and confusion and peruse the CSS
    >> properties and familiarize yourself first...
    >>

    > I thought I had, and this had worked one time before. Now that I read
    > your link, I remember I had to change some position properties to get it
    > in the right spot, so that must have messed me all up.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Nope, even putting that stuff back in didn't fix the problem. :(

    John Salerno, Feb 10, 2006
  5. John Salerno

    John Salerno Guest

    John Salerno wrote:
    > The problems keep coming! Ok, this used to work, and now suddenly it
    > doesn't. The images I'm using for this menu should have small squares to
    > the left of the text, but when I use them they don't. Why do they disappear?
    >
    > Here are the images:
    > http://www.johnjsal.com/images/l1_down.jpg
    > http://www.johnjsal.com/images/l1_over.jpg
    >
    > And here are pages that use them in a menu:
    > http://www.johnjsal.com/columns.html (uses other styles too)
    > http://www.johnjsal.com/menu-test.html (just uses the menu stuff, so it
    > should work)

    Ok, I'm very confused. On a whim (and out of desperation), I copied the
    CSS from the external file and pasted it as an internal style sheet in
    my html file, and now the images work! Why would this solve the problem
    when nothing else changed?

    John Salerno, Feb 10, 2006
  6. John Salerno wrote:
    > John Salerno wrote:
    >
    >> Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    >>> Colors and backgrounds
    >>> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/colors.html#propdef-background-position
    >>>
    >>> Why don't you save yourself some grief and confusion and peruse the
    >>> CSS properties and familiarize yourself first...
    >>>

    >> I thought I had, and this had worked one time before. Now that I read
    >> your link, I remember I had to change some position properties to get
    >> it in the right spot, so that must have messed me all up.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > Nope, even putting that stuff back in didn't fix the problem. :(

    try:

    url(../images/l1_down.jpg);
    url(../images/l1_over.jpg);

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Feb 10, 2006
  7. John Salerno

    John Salerno Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > John Salerno wrote:
    >> John Salerno wrote:

    >>> I thought I had, and this had worked one time before. Now that I read
    >>> your link, I remember I had to change some position properties to get
    >>> it in the right spot, so that must have messed me all up.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> Nope, even putting that stuff back in didn't fix the problem. :(

    > try:
    >
    > url(../images/l1_down.jpg);
    > url(../images/l1_over.jpg);

    oh my god, i'm so dense! i was thinking of the html file's path to the
    iamge, and not the css file! thank you!

    John Salerno, Feb 10, 2006