    ImportError: DLL load failed: A device attached to the system is not
    functioning.

    I'm not sure what it means ot how to fix it. Any thoughts?

    Jay O'Connor, Nov 12, 2003

  2. Jay O'Connor

    John J. Lee Guest

    (Jay O'Connor) writes:

    > I'm using Python 2.3 on windows and trying to use the win32 libs. I
    > keep getting the following error

    > Traceback (most recent call last):
    > File "<pyshell#6>", line 1, in -toplevel-
    > import win32gui
    > ImportError: DLL load failed: A device attached to the system is not
    > functioning.
    >
    > I'm not sure what it means ot how to fix it. Any thoughts?

    Don't you just love those informative Windows error messages?

    I had that error message before (can't remember the circumstances),
    and never found out what the problem was. Had to work around it
    rather than fix it.

    John

    John J. Lee, Nov 12, 2003

  3. Jay O'Connor

    Tim Golden Guest

    (John J. Lee) wrote in message news:<>...
    > (Jay O'Connor) writes:
    >
    > > I'm using Python 2.3 on windows and trying to use the win32 libs. I
    > > keep getting the following error

    > > Traceback (most recent call last):
    > > File "<pyshell#6>", line 1, in -toplevel-
    > > import win32gui
    > > ImportError: DLL load failed: A device attached to the system is not
    > > functioning.
    > >
    > > I'm not sure what it means ot how to fix it. Any thoughts?

    > Don't you just love those informative Windows error messages?
    >
    > I had that error message before (can't remember the circumstances),
    > and never found out what the problem was. Had to work around it
    > rather than fix it.
    >

    > John

    When I've had these errors, it's usually indicated
    that -- at some point -- one of my network drives
    has gone down, especially but not limited to the
    one I'm hosting my python-site-packages directory
    on. Forcing a reconnection to the drive
    (ie net use /del followed by net use) seems to solve it,
    even if the drive is by now up and running again.

    YMMV
    TJG

    Tim Golden, Nov 13, 2003
  4. Jay O'Connor

    Jay O'Connor Guest

    On 13 Nov 2003 00:42:06 -0800, (Tim
    Golden) wrote:

    > (John J. Lee) wrote in message news:<>...
    >> (Jay O'Connor) writes:
    >>
    >> > I'm using Python 2.3 on windows and trying to use the win32 libs. I
    >> > keep getting the following error

    >> > Traceback (most recent call last):
    >> > File "<pyshell#6>", line 1, in -toplevel-
    >> > import win32gui
    >> > ImportError: DLL load failed: A device attached to the system is not
    >> > functioning.
    >> >
    >> > I'm not sure what it means ot how to fix it. Any thoughts?

    >> Don't you just love those informative Windows error messages?
    >>
    >> I had that error message before (can't remember the circumstances),
    >> and never found out what the problem was. Had to work around it
    >> rather than fix it.
    >>

    >> John

    >When I've had these errors, it's usually indicated
    >that -- at some point -- one of my network drives
    >has gone down, especially but not limited to the
    >one I'm hosting my python-site-packages directory
    >on. Forcing a reconnection to the drive
    >(ie net use /del followed by net use) seems to solve it,
    >even if the drive is by now up and running again.

    This is a standalone PC with only a dialup modem for connectivity.
    It's an old Win95 machine.

    Basically I want to do GUI progrmaming in Python on windows to expand
    my offerings as a programmer. I thuoght the win32 api would be good
    but I'm also considering wxPython now (I really don't like Tkinter)

    FWIW - I'm an unemployed software developer who likes programming in
    Python and Smalltalk if anyone needs a warm body.

    Jay O'Connor, Nov 13, 2003
  5. Jay O'Connor

    Mark Hammond Guest

    Jay O'Connor wrote:
    > On 13 Nov 2003 00:42:06 -0800, (Tim
    > Golden) wrote:
    >

    >> (John J. Lee) wrote in message news:<>...

    >>>Don't you just love those informative Windows error messages?
    >>>
    >>>I had that error message before (can't remember the circumstances),
    >>>and never found out what the problem was. Had to work around it
    >>>rather than fix it.
    >>>

    >>>John

    >>When I've had these errors, it's usually indicated
    >>that -- at some point -- one of my network drives
    >>has gone down, especially but not limited to the
    >>one I'm hosting my python-site-packages directory
    >>on. Forcing a reconnection to the drive
    >>(ie net use /del followed by net use) seems to solve it,
    >>even if the drive is by now up and running again.

    > This is a standalone PC with only a dialup modem for connectivity.
    > It's an old Win95 machine.
    >
    > Basically I want to do GUI progrmaming in Python on windows to expand
    > my offerings as a programmer. I thuoght the win32 api would be good
    > but I'm also considering wxPython now (I really don't like Tkinter)
    >
    > FWIW - I'm an unemployed software developer who likes programming in
    > Python and Smalltalk if anyone needs a warm body.

    I'm afraid that win32all no longer supports Win95 - that is the cause of
    the error. Windows 98 or better works.

    I realize this sucks, but at some stage I have to let go - and if it is
    good enough for MS to call 95 "unsupported", it is good enough for me <wink>

    Mark.

    Mark Hammond, Nov 13, 2003