Strange Error in ASP.NET C# Application

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Peter van der Goes, Aug 3, 2003.

  1. This one has me stumped. I'm looking at support files for a C# textbook,
    including three ASP.NET applications that use Access databases. I create
    virtual directories for the applications in IIS (running Win XP SP1 and Win
    2000 SP4 dual boot - error occurs under either OS), then load the app into
    the VS.NET 2003 IDE. When I attempt to run the application, I get the
    following error in my browser, instead of the startup page:

    Server Error in '/RoadSignReview' Application.

    Compilation Error
    to service this request. Please review the following specific error details
    and modify your source code appropriately.

    Compiler Error Message: CS1595: 'RoadSignReview.RoadSigns' is defined in
    multiple places; using definition from
    'c:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET
    Files\roadsignreview\cebae5e1\8b8437d2\assembly\dl2\da6e1f98\00031afb_ea55c3
    01\RoadSignReviewCS.DLL'

    Source Error:

    Line 27:
    Line 28:
    [System.Runtime.CompilerServices.CompilerGlobalScopeAttribute()]
    Line 29: public class RoadSigns_aspx : RoadSignReview.RoadSigns,
    System.Web.SessionState.IRequiresSessionState {
    Line 30:
    Line 31:

    Source File: c:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET
    Files\roadsignreview\cebae5e1\8b8437d2\ss6l2cvv.0.cs Line: 29

    The above does not, of course, refer to anything the developer created.
    And, just to make it even more fun, if I create this application myself on
    the same PC (using the source code in the book), it runs OK.
    Remember, this same phenomenon in *three different* apps.

    If anybody has seen this and/or has any idea how to deal with it, I'd very
    much appreciate some feedback.

    ** All opinions are mine alone.Do not attribute elsewhere!
    ** Peter van der Goes, Professor, Computers & Information Technology
    ** Rose State College
    *********************** Contact ************************************
    ** Office e-mail:
    ** Home e-mail:
    ** Web Page: http://www.rose.edu/Faculty/pvan/index.htm

    Peter van der Goes, Aug 3, 2003

  2. "codewriter" <> wrote in message
    > This question has been asked hundreds of times before, as far as I

    remember.
    > The couse is either conflicting assemblies for the same source or code
    > behind tags are screwed up.
    > Delete your dlls and recompile.

    I appreciate the information. Works like a charm.
    Somehow, I was unable to find this simple fix on my own, but I won't forget
    it.
    Thanks very much!

    Peter van der Goes, Aug 4, 2003