Strange error in Quartus II 3.0

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Panic, Oct 21, 2003.

  1. Panic

    Panic Guest

    After searching for the source of an error for quite a long time, I've
    decided that I need some help, and once again you guys drew the shortest
    straw ;-)

    I have a 8 bit DFF with output q[7..0]. This feeds the net
    dff_inst23_out[7..0]. (The reason this net is given this name, was to see if
    the error actually was located where I thought it was, since the original
    error pointed to some temp net.) Both the DFF output and the net is 8 bits
    wide, and still I get this error message:

    Error: Net dff_inst23_out[6] cannot be assigned more than one value
    Error: Net is fed by std_8bit_dff0:inst8|lpm_ff:lpm_ff_component|dffs[6]
    Error: Net is fed by std_8bit_dff0:inst9|lpm_ff:lpm_ff_component|dffs[6]
    Error: Net is fed by std_8bit_dff0:inst23|lpm_ff:lpm_ff_component|dffs[6]

    This is repeated for each bit of dff_inst23_out.

    Ok, so I have two other registers that feed this net, but they are not
    connected! I understand that this is happening because the output of these
    other registers are the same as the inst23 one, but hey, I've got more
    registers like that, all over the place! So why is this happening to this
    particular net?

    I've taken a screenshot of the design in question, and my troublesome net is
    the blue stub:
    http://www.battlefield.no/bilder/inst23.gif

    Any suggestions would be appreaciated!
    Sincerely
    -"Panic"

    Panic, Oct 21, 2003

  2. Panic

    Panic Guest

    Ooops. Should have been posted in comp.arch.fpga....

    Sorry.

    Panic, Oct 21, 2003

  3. Make sure you don't have another net with the same name. Even if they
    are not physically connected, they will be logically connected.

    Marc Guardiani, Oct 24, 2003