Strange error while compiling a C++ file

Arnab Nandi

We are using the Sun Workshop 6 C++ compiler to compile some CPP files.

The command line looks like follows: -

CC -g -xsb -c -o output/x.o x.cpp

We get the following error: -

CC: language sb not recognized
CC: x.cpp: linker input file unused because linking not done

Any reason why this should occur? Is this related to the SunWS_cache in anyway?

Thanks,
Arnab

Marc

Arnab said:
CC -g -xsb -c -o output/x.o x.cpp
CC: language sb not recognized
CC: x.cpp: linker input file unused because linking not done

Are you sure CC is Sun's compiler and not a symlink to g++?

Rolf Magnus

Arnab said:
We are using the Sun Workshop 6 C++ compiler to compile some CPP
files.

The command line looks like follows: -

CC -g -xsb -c -o output/x.o x.cpp

We get the following error: -

CC: language sb not recognized
CC: x.cpp: linker input file unused because linking not done

Any reason why this should occur? Is this related to the SunWS_cache
in anyway?

I have no idea about the Sun compiler, and it's actually off-topic here,
but is it possible that -x is (just like in g++) the command line
argument for explicitly specifying the programming language of the
input file? And your compiler doesn't seem to know a programming
language called "sb".

Arnab Nandi

Marc said:
Are you sure CC is Sun's compiler and not a symlink to g++?

Yes, its Sun's CC. I truncated the line when I posted. Here's the
original command line:-

cd /export/home/krkicmp/SpreadAPO;
/opt/SUNWspro/bin/../WS6U2/bin/dmake -f Makefile.krkicmp.SpreadAPO -m
serial project

/opt/SUNWspro/bin/../WS6U2/bin/CC -g -xsb -c -o output/APOBS.o
APOBS.cpp
CC: language sb not recognized
CC: APOBS.cpp: linker input file unused because linking not done
/opt/SUNWspro/bin/../WS6U2/bin/CC -g -xsb -c -o
output/AbstractFunction.o AbstractFunction.cpp
CC: language sb not recognized
CC: AbstractFunction.cpp: linker input file unused because linking not
done
/opt/SUNWspro/bin/../WS6U2/bin/CC -g -xsb -c -o
output/MargrabeBS.o MargrabeBS.cpp
CC: language sb not recognized
CC: MargrabeBS.cpp: linker input file unused because linking not done
/opt/SUNWspro/bin/../WS6U2/bin/CC -g -xsb -c -o
output/RootSearch.o RootSearch.cpp

Arnab said:
Yes, its Sun's CC. I truncated the line when I posted. Here's the
original command line:-

/opt/SUNWspro/bin/../WS6U2/bin/CC -g -xsb -c -o output/APOBS.o
APOBS.cpp
CC: language sb not recognized
CC: APOBS.cpp: linker input file unused because linking not done

These really are gcc messages... I can't see how you can get them
here...

Could you try /opt/SUNWspro/bin/../WS6U2/bin/CC -V or the same thing
with --version instead of -V? Then you should try comp.sys.solaris.