Strange error with "Replace" in a CDATA Section

Rick Brandt

Here is a simplified example of what I am passing to a Java SAX parser
within a servlet via an HTTPRequest...

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<Record>
<ID>1092853685</ID>
<Notes><![CDATA[replace]]></Notes>
</Record>

I get the following error in the server's log output...

org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The root element is required in a
well-formed document.

....BUT (here's the good part) only if the Notes element contains the string
"replace". Doesn't matter what case it's in. I can have hundreds of
characters in that element without problem providing that the string
"replace" doesn't occur anywhere within. "Re place" is fine, "replacement"
causes the error.

This also only happens when I send this request to our live web servers.
When I run the servlet on my own PC with JBuilder (where I can debug the
code) it doesn't occur.

Is there something magical about the word "replace" that I should know
about? We use Sun's I-Planet application server on our web server's
whereas JBuilder uses Tomcat. I am suspicious that I-Planet has a bug of
some sort, but have no idea how I would go about proving or disproving
that.

Any thoughts appreciated.