Strange IIS Problem

rn5a

I am working on WinXP Pro (SP2) & use IIS5.1 as the intranet server to
run ASP applications. I connect to the Internet using a LAN
connection. My PC is a standalone machine.

Of late, what I find is if I am not connected to the Internet, it
takes quite some time for local intranet ASP pages (that physically
reside in my PC) to get downloaded completely but if I am connected to
the Internet, then the same ASP pages get downloaded in a jiffy. Since
last 2-3 days, I have been noticing this strange problem. Earlier
local intranet ASP pages would get downloaded within no time
irrespective of whether I was connected to the Internet or not.

What could be the probable cause of this eccentricity & how do I
resolve it?

Please note that I have been working with the same setup (i.e. same IP
address to connect to the Internet, same ports etc.) since last 3-4
years but this is the first time I am encountering this problem.

Another petty discrepancy - usually whenever IE is opened (assuming
that the home page is set to 'about:blank'), the right-hand side of
the Status Bar shows the text 'Internet'. When a ASP page on the local
intranet is accessed, the text on the right-hand side of the Status
Bar in IE changes from 'Internet' to 'Local Intranet' but now I find
that even if a ASP page on the local intranet is accessed in IE, the
text on the right-hand side of the Status Bar still remains
'Internet'; it doesn't change to 'Local Intranet'!

Guest

[...]

let's assume that it's not related to ASP.NET :)

It seems that you need to check LAN Settings in IE - Tools - Internet
Options. I think you should bypass proxy for local sites and except
the local addresses (for example 10.* if your intranet IP starts from
10.*)

Jon Paal [MSMD]

I've been getting the exact same problem myself...IIS 5.1 is dog slow to return a localhost page.

Also started in the last few days. I've been searching all over to find a solution but no luck..

Seems to be tied into display of images, as htm pages with no images come up quickly.

Hope somebody who has found an answer, sees this.