    work all right on the site although for some bizarre reason they won't
    work on my machine. Can anyone explain this? Thanks.

    http://free.angeltowns.com/vexlitigant/vex_lit_hansard_may_25.html

    thedarkman, Feb 15, 2005

  2. thedarkman

    Oli Filth Guest

    thedarkman wrote:
    > Just been working on one of my sites; my knowledge if html is very
    > spartan, but it gets me by. The links at the bottom of the page below
    > work all right on the site although for some bizarre reason they won't
    > work on my machine. Can anyone explain this? Thanks.
    >
    > http://free.angeltowns.com/vexlitigant/vex_lit_hansard_may_25.html

    As long as "vex_lit_articles.html" and "vex_litigant_index.html" exist
    in the same directory as this page on your local machine, then they
    should be found.

    --
    Oli

    Oli Filth, Feb 15, 2005

  3. thedarkman

    thedarkman Guest

    Oli Filth wrote:
    > thedarkman wrote:
    > > Just been working on one of my sites; my knowledge if html is very
    > > spartan, but it gets me by. The links at the bottom of the page

    below
    > > work all right on the site although for some bizarre reason they

    won't
    > > work on my machine. Can anyone explain this? Thanks.
    > >
    > > http://free.angeltowns.com/vexlitigant/vex_lit_hansard_may_25.html
    > >

    > As long as "vex_lit_articles.html" and "vex_litigant_index.html"

    exist
    > in the same directory as this page on your local machine, then they
    > should be found.
    >
    > --
    > Oli

    They are and they don't!

    thedarkman, Feb 15, 2005
  4. thedarkman

    thedarkman Guest

    thedarkman wrote:
    > Just been working on one of my sites; my knowledge if html is very
    > spartan, but it gets me by. The links at the bottom of the page below
    > work all right on the site although for some bizarre reason they

    won't
    > work on my machine. Can anyone explain this? Thanks.
    >
    > http://free.angeltowns.com/vexlitigant/vex_lit_hansard_may_25.html

    Re the above, code attached, try it in your own machine, it don't work!

    <!-- saved from
    url=(0189)http://www.parliament.the-stationer...199900/cmhansrd/vo000525/debtext/00525-04.htm
    -->
    <HTML><HEAD><TITLE>VEXATIOUS LITIGANT - HANSARD (COMMONS) May 25,
    2000</TITLE>
    <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html;
    charset=windows-1252">
    <META content="House of Commons Hansard for 25 May 2000 (pt 4)"
    name=Title>
    <META content="Parliamentary Debates (Hansard) Daily Part"
    name=Subject>
    <META content="The Stationery Office Ltd" name=Publisher>
    <META
    content="Department of the Official Report (Hansard), House of Commons,
    Westminster"
    name=Author>
    <META content="The Stationery Office Ltd" name=OtherAgent>
    <META content="25 May 2000" name=Date>
    <META content="Debate Report" name=ObjectType>
    <META content="Filename: 00525-04.htm" name=Identifier>
    <META content="Columns: 1102 to 1106" name=Columns>
    <META content=text/html name=Form>
    <META content="House of Commons Hansard, Volume: 350, Part: 107"
    name=Source>
    <META content="ISBN: 0106813501" name=ISBN>
    <META content=English name=Language>
    <META content="MSHTML 5.50.4134.600" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
    <BODY>
    <TABLE width="100%">
    <TBODY>
    <TR vAlign=top>
    <TD width="33%">
    </TD>
    <TD align=middle width="33%">
    </TD>
    <TD align=right width="33%">

    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

    <A name=00525-04_sbhd3></A>
    <H4>
    <CENTER>Vexatious Litigants</CENTER></H4>
    <P>30. <!--META NAME="Colno" CONTENT="1105"--><A
    name=00525-04_wqn3></A><B>Mr.
    David Drew (Stroud):</B> <!--Mr. David Drew-->How many applications
    with regard
    to vexatious litigants the Law Officers have dealt with over the past
    12 months.
    [122432]
    <P>
    <P>
    <P><!--META NAME="Colno" CONTENT="1105"--><A
    name=00525-04_spmin7></A><B>The
    Solicitor-General (Mr. Ross Cranston): </B><!--Mr. Ross Cranston-->In
    the past
    12 months the High Court has considered 11 applications made by the Law
    Officers
    under section 42 of the Supreme Court Act 1981. Of those 11
    applications, nine
    resulted in orders being made, one application was refused and one,
    although
    heard, awaits judgment. In the same period, the employment appeals
    tribunal made
    two orders under section 33 of the Industrial Tribunals Act 1996, which
    prevents
    applications to the tribunal.
    <P>
    <P><!--META NAME="Colno" CONTENT="1105"--><A
    name=00525-04_spnew12></A><B>Mr.
    Drew: </B><!--Mr. Drew-->I thank my hon. and learned Friend for that
    reply.
    Obviously, it is not without interest for the House, given this week's
    proceedings.
    <P><A name=column_1106></A><B>25 May 2000 : Column 1106</B></P>
    <P><A name=00525-04_para1></A><!--META NAME="Speaker" CONTENT="Mr.
    Drew"-->What
    are the implications for the individuals concerned? Clearly, if an
    order is
    served on someone, that can lead to considerable restriction of his or
    her
    activities. Is that compatible with the European convention on human
    rights?
    <P>
    <P><!--META NAME="Colno" CONTENT="1106"--><A
    name=00525-04_spmin8></A><B>The
    Solicitor-General:</B> <!--The Solicitor-General-->The Attorney-General
    and I
    give these applications close consideration when they come before us.
    One of my
    constituents is a vexatious litigant, and he constantly reminds me, in
    the
    nicest possible way, of the implications that the order has for him.
    <P><A name=00525-04_para2></A><!--META NAME="Speaker" CONTENT="The
    Solicitor-General"-->We
    carefully consider such applications, which must then be considered by
    two High
    Court judges sitting in the divisional court. On the human rights
    aspect,
    Strasbourg has considered the matter on two occasions and said that the
    orders
    are compatible with the ECHR. The test is very high. The statute
    requires
    habitual and persistent behaviour, and it must be reasonable in the
    circumstances for the court to make that order. As the figures that I
    gave my
    hon. Friend indicate, the number of applications is not significant.
    <P><A name=00525-04_para3></A><!--META NAME="Speaker" CONTENT="The
    Solicitor-General"-->An
    order does not prevent vexatious litigants from litigating, but they
    have to
    seek the leave of the court to bring an action.
    <P>
    <HR>
    <b>

    </HTML>
    ********************************

    file two

    <HTML>
    <HEAD>
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html;
    charset=windows-1252">
    <META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="Microsoft Word 97">
    </HEAD>
    <BODY LINK="#0000ff" VLINK="#800080">
    <FONT COLOR="#ff0000">
    <FONT COLOR="#000000">
    <TITLE>VEXATIOUS LITIGANT - PUBLISHED ARTICLES CONCERNING VEXATIOUS
    LITIGANTS</TITLE>
    </HEAD>
    <BODY LINK="#0000ff" VLINK="#800080">
    <b>
    <FONT COLOR="#ff0000"><H1 ALIGN="CENTER">Published Articles Concerning
    Vexatious Litigants</H1>
    </FONT><P>&nbsp;</P>

    (Commons) May 25, 2000</A>
    (<i>Columbus Dispatch</i>, November 15, 2000)</A>
    (<i>Columbus Dispatch</i>, December 30, 2000)</A>
    Litigant</i>: Julian Knight case, Australia</A>
    <P><A HREF="vex_litigant_index.html">Back To Site Index</A>

    </BODY>
    </HTML>

    thedarkman, Feb 15, 2005
  5. thedarkman

    rf Guest

    "thedarkman" <> wrote

    > Re the above, code attached, try it in your own machine, it don't work!

    <snip code>

    Good of you to provide us with 7K of code but there are still a few bits of
    information missing.

    You post the content of two files. You do not tell us their names. I could
    copy/paste them into files named whatever I like and make it never work.

    Please explain what you mean by "won't work on my machine". What is the
    exact text of the error mesasage your browser reports? Give us a picture of
    the folder in which these files live, both on the host and on your local
    file system.

    BTW this:

    > <META content="MSHTML 5.50.4134.600" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>

    and this:

    > <META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="Microsoft Word 97">

    lead me to believe you should be using a different tool to produce these
    pages.

    rf, Feb 15, 2005
  6. thedarkman

    thedarkman Guest

    rf wrote:
    > "thedarkman" <> wrote
    >
    > > Re the above, code attached, try it in your own machine, it don't

    work!

    > <snip code>
    >
    > Good of you to provide us with 7K of code but there are still a few

    bits of
    > information missing.
    >
    > You post the content of two files. You do not tell us their names. I

    could
    > copy/paste them into files named whatever I like and make it never

    work.

    > Please explain what you mean by "won't work on my machine". What is

    the
    > exact text of the error mesasage your browser reports? Give us a

    picture of
    > the folder in which these files live, both on the host and on your

    local
    > file system.
    >
    > BTW this:
    >
    > > <META content="MSHTML 5.50.4134.600" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>

    > and this:
    >
    > > <META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="Microsoft Word 97">

    > lead me to believe you should be using a different tool to produce

    these
    > pages.

    Sorry, the files are called

    vex_lit_articles.html
    vexlitigant/vex_litigant_index.html
    vex_lit_hansard_may_25.html

    they are the same directory

    when you click on the two links at the bottom of the Hansard file
    nothing happens on my machine although they work perfectly on the site.

    The Hansard file was saved from the web in html format as far as I
    recall, don't think I used Word; the other two were created in
    WordStar, non-document mode. DOS version!

    What is wrong with the code and the way it was produced?

    thedarkman, Feb 15, 2005
  7. thedarkman

    rf Guest

    "thedarkman" <> wrote

    > Sorry, the files are called
    >
    > vex_lit_articles.html
    > vexlitigant/vex_litigant_index.html

    What is that / doing there? This is a folder called vexlitigant, containing
    a file called vex_litigant_index.html.

    The files are not in the same directory.

    > vex_lit_hansard_may_25.html
    >

    > they are the same directory

    Perhaps you can post a screenshot of, say, windows explorer looking at the
    folders in question.

    > What is wrong with the code and the way it was produced?

    Word (of any description) is not an HTML generation tool. It is merely a
    program that can happen to save files in "HTML format". The resulting files
    are usually rubbish (from an HTML point of view).

    The "HTML" you posted is full of deprecated stuff and should be re-written.

    rf, Feb 16, 2005
  8. thedarkman

    thedarkman Guest

    I didn't write the file, I saved it from the Parliament website; that
    still doesn't explain why these links will work in cyberspace but not
    on my machine.

    thedarkman, Feb 16, 2005
  9. thedarkman

    rf Guest

    "thedarkman" <> wrote

    > I didn't write the file, I saved it from the Parliament website; that
    > still doesn't explain why these links will work in cyberspace but not
    > on my machine.

    <sigh> This is not rocket science. You have spelt something wrong or put
    something in the wrong place. </sigh>

    Do it all over again and then report back.

    rf, Feb 16, 2005
  10. "rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote in message news:<MhGQd.163423$>...
    > "thedarkman" <> wrote
    >
    > > I didn't write the file, I saved it from the Parliament website; that
    > > still doesn't explain why these links will work in cyberspace but not
    > > on my machine.

    > <sigh> This is not rocket science. You have spelt something wrong or put
    > something in the wrong place. </sigh>
    >
    > Do it all over again and then report back.

    I've been fiddling with this all week; the three files are all in the
    same directory on my hard disk; the links work on the site but not on
    my machine. Not rocket science but mysticism.

    Alexander Baron, Feb 17, 2005