strange link behaviour

Oli Filth

thedarkman said:
Just been working on one of my sites; my knowledge if html is very
spartan, but it gets me by. The links at the bottom of the page below
work all right on the site although for some bizarre reason they won't
work on my machine. Can anyone explain this? Thanks.

http://free.angeltowns.com/vexlitigant/vex_lit_hansard_may_25.html

As long as "vex_lit_articles.html" and "vex_litigant_index.html" exist
in the same directory as this page on your local machine, then they
should be found.

thedarkman

Oli said:
As long as "vex_lit_articles.html" and "vex_litigant_index.html" exist
in the same directory as this page on your local machine, then they
should be found.

They are and they don't!

thedarkman

thedarkman said:
Just been working on one of my sites; my knowledge if html is very
spartan, but it gets me by. The links at the bottom of the page below
work all right on the site although for some bizarre reason they won't
work on my machine. Can anyone explain this? Thanks.

http://free.angeltowns.com/vexlitigant/vex_lit_hansard_may_25.html

Re the above, code attached, try it in your own machine, it don't work!

<!-- saved from
url=(0189)http://www.parliament.the-stationer...199900/cmhansrd/vo000525/debtext/00525-04.htm
-->
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>VEXATIOUS LITIGANT - HANSARD (COMMONS) May 25,
2000</TITLE>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html;
charset=windows-1252">
<META content="House of Commons Hansard for 25 May 2000 (pt 4)"
name=Title>
<META content="Parliamentary Debates (Hansard) Daily Part"
name=Subject>
<META content="The Stationery Office Ltd" name=Publisher>
<META
content="Department of the Official Report (Hansard), House of Commons,
Westminster"
name=Author>
<META content="The Stationery Office Ltd" name=OtherAgent>
<META content="25 May 2000" name=Date>
<META content="Debate Report" name=ObjectType>
<META content="Filename: 00525-04.htm" name=Identifier>
<META content="Columns: 1102 to 1106" name=Columns>
<META content=text/html name=Form>
<META content="House of Commons Hansard, Volume: 350, Part: 107"
name=Source>
<META content="ISBN: 0106813501" name=ISBN>
<META content=English name=Language>
<META content="MSHTML 5.50.4134.600" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<TABLE width="100%">
<TBODY>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD width="33%">
</TD>
<TD align=middle width="33%">
</TD>
<TD align=right width="33%">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<A name=00525-04_sbhd3></A>
<H4>
<CENTER>Vexatious Litigants</CENTER></H4>
<P>30. <!--META NAME="Colno" CONTENT="1105"--><A
name=00525-04_wqn3></A><B>Mr.
David Drew (Stroud):</B> <!--Mr. David Drew-->How many applications
with regard
to vexatious litigants the Law Officers have dealt with over the past
12 months.
[122432]
<P>
<P>
<P><!--META NAME="Colno" CONTENT="1105"--><A
name=00525-04_spmin7></A><B>The
Solicitor-General (Mr. Ross Cranston): </B><!--Mr. Ross Cranston-->In
the past
12 months the High Court has considered 11 applications made by the Law
Officers
under section 42 of the Supreme Court Act 1981. Of those 11
applications, nine
resulted in orders being made, one application was refused and one,
although
heard, awaits judgment. In the same period, the employment appeals
tribunal made
two orders under section 33 of the Industrial Tribunals Act 1996, which
prevents
applications to the tribunal.
<P>
<P><!--META NAME="Colno" CONTENT="1105"--><A
name=00525-04_spnew12></A><B>Mr.
Drew: </B><!--Mr. Drew-->I thank my hon. and learned Friend for that
reply.
Obviously, it is not without interest for the House, given this week's
proceedings.
<P><A name=column_1106></A><B>25 May 2000 : Column 1106</B></P>
<P><A name=00525-04_para1></A><!--META NAME="Speaker" CONTENT="Mr.
Drew"-->What
are the implications for the individuals concerned? Clearly, if an
order is
served on someone, that can lead to considerable restriction of his or
her
activities. Is that compatible with the European convention on human
rights?
<P>
<P><!--META NAME="Colno" CONTENT="1106"--><A
name=00525-04_spmin8></A><B>The
Solicitor-General:</B> <!--The Solicitor-General-->The Attorney-General
and I
give these applications close consideration when they come before us.
One of my
constituents is a vexatious litigant, and he constantly reminds me, in
the
nicest possible way, of the implications that the order has for him.
<P><A name=00525-04_para2></A><!--META NAME="Speaker" CONTENT="The
Solicitor-General"-->We
carefully consider such applications, which must then be considered by
two High
Court judges sitting in the divisional court. On the human rights
aspect,
Strasbourg has considered the matter on two occasions and said that the
orders
are compatible with the ECHR. The test is very high. The statute
requires
habitual and persistent behaviour, and it must be reasonable in the
circumstances for the court to make that order. As the figures that I
gave my
hon. Friend indicate, the number of applications is not significant.
<P><A name=00525-04_para3></A><!--META NAME="Speaker" CONTENT="The
Solicitor-General"-->An
order does not prevent vexatious litigants from litigating, but they
have to
seek the leave of the court to bring an action.
<P>
<HR>
<b>

</HTML>
********************************

file two

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html;
charset=windows-1252">
<META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="Microsoft Word 97">
</HEAD>
<BODY LINK="#0000ff" VLINK="#800080">
<FONT COLOR="#ff0000">
<FONT COLOR="#000000">
<TITLE>VEXATIOUS LITIGANT - PUBLISHED ARTICLES CONCERNING VEXATIOUS
LITIGANTS</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY LINK="#0000ff" VLINK="#800080">
<b>
<FONT COLOR="#ff0000"><H1 ALIGN="CENTER">Published Articles Concerning
Vexatious Litigants</H1>
</FONT><P>&nbsp;</P>

(Commons) May 25, 2000</A>
(<i>Columbus Dispatch</i>, November 15, 2000)</A>
(<i>Columbus Dispatch</i>, December 30, 2000)</A>
Litigant</i>: Julian Knight case, Australia</A>
<P><A HREF="vex_litigant_index.html">Back To Site Index</A>

</BODY>
</HTML>

rf

thedarkman said:
Re the above, code attached, try it in your own machine, it don't work!

<snip code>

Good of you to provide us with 7K of code but there are still a few bits of
information missing.

You post the content of two files. You do not tell us their names. I could
copy/paste them into files named whatever I like and make it never work.

Please explain what you mean by "won't work on my machine". What is the
exact text of the error mesasage your browser reports? Give us a picture of
the folder in which these files live, both on the host and on your local
file system.

BTW this:
<META content="MSHTML 5.50.4134.600" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>

and this:
<META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="Microsoft Word 97">

lead me to believe you should be using a different tool to produce these
pages.

thedarkman

rf said:
work!

<snip code>

Good of you to provide us with 7K of code but there are still a few bits of
information missing.

You post the content of two files. You do not tell us their names. I could
copy/paste them into files named whatever I like and make it never work.

Please explain what you mean by "won't work on my machine". What is the
exact text of the error mesasage your browser reports? Give us a picture of
the folder in which these files live, both on the host and on your local
file system.

BTW this:

and this:

lead me to believe you should be using a different tool to produce these
pages.

Sorry, the files are called

vex_lit_articles.html
vexlitigant/vex_litigant_index.html
vex_lit_hansard_may_25.html

they are the same directory

when you click on the two links at the bottom of the Hansard file
nothing happens on my machine although they work perfectly on the site.

The Hansard file was saved from the web in html format as far as I
recall, don't think I used Word; the other two were created in
WordStar, non-document mode. DOS version!

What is wrong with the code and the way it was produced?

rf

thedarkman said:
Sorry, the files are called

vex_lit_articles.html
vexlitigant/vex_litigant_index.html

What is that / doing there? This is a folder called vexlitigant, containing
a file called vex_litigant_index.html.

The files are not in the same directory.
vex_lit_hansard_may_25.html

they are the same directory

Perhaps you can post a screenshot of, say, windows explorer looking at the
folders in question.
What is wrong with the code and the way it was produced?

Word (of any description) is not an HTML generation tool. It is merely a
program that can happen to save files in "HTML format". The resulting files
are usually rubbish (from an HTML point of view).

The "HTML" you posted is full of deprecated stuff and should be re-written.

thedarkman

I didn't write the file, I saved it from the Parliament website; that
still doesn't explain why these links will work in cyberspace but not
on my machine.

rf

thedarkman said:
I didn't write the file, I saved it from the Parliament website; that
still doesn't explain why these links will work in cyberspace but not
on my machine.

<sigh> This is not rocket science. You have spelt something wrong or put
something in the wrong place. </sigh>

Do it all over again and then report back.

Alexander Baron

rf said:
<sigh> This is not rocket science. You have spelt something wrong or put
something in the wrong place. </sigh>

Do it all over again and then report back.

I've been fiddling with this all week; the three files are all in the
same directory on my hard disk; the links work on the site but not on
my machine. Not rocket science but mysticism.