Strange "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error in webform

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Chris Magoun, Aug 9, 2004.

  1. Chris Magoun

    Chris Magoun Guest

    I suddenly received an unexpected error in my project. I have been working
    on this project for some time without this issue. Nothing has changed in the
    form that caused the exception. A little experimentation shows that I cannot
    run ANY .NET web project without getting this error:

    ----

    to an instance of an object.

    Source Error:

    Line 1: <%@ Page Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false"
    Codebehind="Login.aspx.vb" Inherits="DataBayWeb.Login" %>
    Line 2: <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
    Line 3: <HTML>

    Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\DataBayWeb\login.aspx Line: 1

    Stack Trace:

    object.]
    System.Web.UI.Control.get_Controls()
    System.Web.UI.Control.AddParsedSubObject(Object obj)

    System.Web.UI.Control.System.Web.UI.IParserAccessor.AddParsedSubObject(Objec
    t obj)
    ASP.Login_aspx.__BuildControlTree(Control __ctrl) in
    c:\inetpub\wwwroot\DataBayWeb\login.aspx:1
    ASP.Login_aspx.FrameworkInitialize()
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)

    System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication+IExecutionSte
    p.Execute()
    completedSynchronously)

    Other developers on my team can run the latest version of the project
    without an issue. What has happened?

    Chris

    Chris Magoun, Aug 9, 2004

  2. Very strange indeed. It might sound obscure, but try removing the
    space in <%@ Page...

    Otherwise, I would be tempted to do the inevitable and reinstall the
    framework.

    Simon.

    Simon Zandberg, Aug 20, 2004