    7.3/Tomcat 4.1.27/JDK 1.4.1 on server. Any ideas why this might be
    happening?
    Thanks in advance.
    Sojwal, Jan 27, 2004

  2. Sojwal

    Chris Smith Guest

    Sojwal wrote:
    > The problem we have is that the client app. runs quite fast in applet
    > but runs very slow when run as java application from command line. We
    > are using Windows 2000/JDK 1.4.2 on client side & Redhat Linux
    > 7.3/Tomcat 4.1.27/JDK 1.4.1 on server. Any ideas why this might be
    > happening?

    Yes, that is a little odd. Since I don't know anything about your
    application, I'm fairly limited in recommending potential causes. A
    profiler is a great tool for this sort of thing.

    Aside from that, check for anything that might be different in the
    software setup. For example, perhaps applets are being handled by the
    Microsoft VM instead of Sun? Do you still get the same speed difference
    if you run the applet using the J2SDK appletviewer? Are you passing any
    performance-related options to the java interpreter from the command
    line (anything beginning with '-X' ought to arouse your suspicions)?

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation
    Chris Smith, Jan 27, 2004

  3. Sojwal

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Sojwal wrote:

    > The client app. was earlier in the form of an applet.
    > The problem we have is that the client app. runs quite fast in applet
    > but runs very slow when run as java application from command line.

    If you were using a different Java JVM/class library when it was an applet,
    then one -- admittedly remote -- possibility is that the old JVM provided
    buffering on its network streams by default, and the new one doesn't.

    -- chris
    Chris Uppal, Jan 27, 2004