Strange performance problem: Please help

Sojwal

We have written a java application (client app.) which talks to a
Struts web based application (server app.). It works as follows:
1. Basically the client app. sends a list of files to download.
2. The server app. gets the files from a ftp site, zips & encrypts
them.
3. The client app. calls a servlet which then reads the encrypted zip
created on the web server & streams it to the client app.
4. The client app. saves zip file locally, decrypts & unzips the
files.
The client app. was earlier in the form of an applet.
The problem we have is that the client app. runs quite fast in applet
but runs very slow when run as java application from command line. We
are using Windows 2000/JDK 1.4.2 on client side & Redhat Linux
7.3/Tomcat 4.1.27/JDK 1.4.1 on server. Any ideas why this might be
happening?
Thanks in advance.

Chris Smith

Sojwal said:
The problem we have is that the client app. runs quite fast in applet
but runs very slow when run as java application from command line. We
are using Windows 2000/JDK 1.4.2 on client side & Redhat Linux
7.3/Tomcat 4.1.27/JDK 1.4.1 on server. Any ideas why this might be
happening?

Yes, that is a little odd. Since I don't know anything about your
application, I'm fairly limited in recommending potential causes. A
profiler is a great tool for this sort of thing.

Aside from that, check for anything that might be different in the
software setup. For example, perhaps applets are being handled by the
Microsoft VM instead of Sun? Do you still get the same speed difference
if you run the applet using the J2SDK appletviewer? Are you passing any
performance-related options to the java interpreter from the command
line (anything beginning with '-X' ought to arouse your suspicions)?

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Chris Uppal

Sojwal said:
The client app. was earlier in the form of an applet.
The problem we have is that the client app. runs quite fast in applet
but runs very slow when run as java application from command line.

If you were using a different Java JVM/class library when it was an applet,
then one -- admittedly remote -- possibility is that the old JVM provided
buffering on its network streams by default, and the new one doesn't.

-- chris