Strange Problem: ASP Files Randomly Removed while an ASP.NET application was changed

Sammy

Everyone,

I have this very strange problem and we spent weeks to figure out
what's going on. Let me outline the configuration of our system:

1. .NET Framework v. 1.0.3705
2. SQL 2000 SP 3
3. Windows 2000 Server SP4

Web Site Setup
- wwwroot (still running an ASP application)
-- Virtual Directory A (running an ASP.NET application)

Whenever I made changed to the .NET application in the Vidrual
Directory A (i.e. changing the web.config or using the xcopy method
to deploy the .NET application), some (NOT all) ASP files in the
wwwroot directory were phsyically removed. It's extremely strange
because we're very sure that our machine is virus-free. We even shut
down the web site and deployed the changes to the .NET application.
After we let our site running for a while, some of the ASP files were
removed again. What's even more mysterious is that not the same ASP
files were removed.

But when we move our ASP.NET application to a different web site (same
physical box. Please see below), the original web site (i.e. wwwroot
with the ASP app) remains intact.

Web Site 1
-- wwwroot (still running an ASP application)

Web Site 2
--- newwwwroot (no ASP files or ASPX files)
--- Virutal Directory A (running an ASP.NET application)

Can anyone please give us some hint what may happen? Do u think if we
upgrade the .NET framework to 1.1 will help?

Thanx.

Cheers,
Sammy

Jeffrey Tan[MSFT]

Hi Sammy,

Currently, we are doing research on it, we will reply to you ASAP. 3

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,
Jeffrey Tan
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Sammy,

From your description, everytime after changing the ASP.NET web application
in the Virtual dir under that sites. Some CLASSIC ASP files will be
removed. I also feel very strange on this, are those asp files located in
the site's root dir or in any particular dir?
Also, what''re those asp files doing? Running some particular scripts?

Is your ASP.NET Web application running any particluar operations? Also,
will the problem be reproed if you create another simple asp.net web
application under that site and try updating it?

Not sure whether upgrade the .net framework to 1.1 will help, but I think
we can use the FileMon tool to have a monitor on those ASP FILES and lookup
whether there is any particular process which delete the files.
IF you have any new findings or questions, please feel free to post here.
Thanks.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support