Strange Problem - ASP Page failing to display

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Graeme Wood, Aug 30, 2004.

  1. Graeme Wood

    Graeme Wood Guest

    I have an ASP page hosted on a windows 2003 server.

    This page was working fine until Saturday. Now, the server doesn't
    serve it and gives a 404 page not found error. The file DEFINITELY
    exists in the correct folder (it worked fine previous to now).

    I have tested the page on our in house server, which is a Windows 2000
    server and the page works fine. I have exported the database data and
    tables which are necessary to the 2000 server and again it works fine,
    so I don't think it is any data in the database which is causing it.

    We serve many other sites off this server, and the asp works fine on
    all of them, and throughout the rest of this particualr site which is
    causing the problems.

    Thanks in advance for your help,

    Graeme

    Graeme Wood, Aug 30, 2004

  2. Did you enable ASP on the server? 2003 introduces this new option that is
    off by default.

    Look at the "Lockdown Mode" section here.
    http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/IIS_Security_Enhancements.html

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Aug 30, 2004

  3. Graeme Wood

    Jeff Dillon Guest

    Create a one-line test.asp in the same folder. Does it work?

    Try accessing via the servername, domain name, and IP address in the URL.

    Jeff

    Jeff Dillon, Aug 30, 2004
  4. Graeme Wood

    Mark Schupp Guest

    Have you checked the file permissions?

    --
    Mark Schupp
    Head of Development

    Mark Schupp, Aug 30, 2004
  5. Graeme Wood

    Graeme Wood Guest

    Hi thanks for your help everyone but none of those solutions worked.

    I don';t think I explained myself correctly. This particular page was
    working fine, running off the 2003 server for a couple of months.
    There are other ASP pages within the folder which this problem page
    resides in which work fine. Suddenly for some reason this page has
    stopped working and throws up a 404 error.

    I am sure it is something to do with Windows 2003 server as I've
    pretty much ruled out anything else causing the problem by exporting
    the database and testing the exact same file on a 2000 server, with
    the exact same data.

    Thanks anyway,

    Graeme

    Graeme Wood, Aug 31, 2004
  6. Graeme Wood

    Mark Schupp Guest

    Did you try using IIS manager to look at the site to see if the file
    appears? If it appears try right-click and "browse"? What error shows then?

    --
    Mark Schupp
    Head of Development

    Mark Schupp, Aug 31, 2004
  7. Graeme Wood

    Jeff Dillon Guest

    What do you mean none worked? Did a test.asp page display correctly or not?
    Did you try renaming the problem page to then to test.asp? Cut out all the
    code in the problem page..still error?

    Jeff

    Jeff Dillon, Sep 2, 2004