Strange problem in Rails application in production mode

Guilhem.Vellut

Hello,

I have a very frustrating problem running a Rails application in
production. It has always worked in development mode using WEBRick but
I have put the app in production and it works fine most of the time.
But _sometimes_, I get the famous "Application error Rails application
failed to start properly" error. So one minute the requested page loads
as expected and suddenly, when requesting the same page again, I get
this error for some time, then it gets back to working again at some
point. And no, I haven't changed the code, the configuration or the
database data on the server between the moment it works and the moment
it does not. Different pages in the web application don't have this
problem at the same time, but it has happened to most of them at some
point.

There is no log at all concerning this problem in the production.log.
But in the fastcgi.crash.log, I get these 2 lines:
"[... :: 7802] Told to terminate now"
"[... :: 7802] Terminated by explicit exit"
Since I am quite new to Rails, this does not help me very much.

I am running Rails 0.13.1 with the FastCGI dispatcher, Apache 1.3 and
MySQL 4.1, all under Linux.

What could be the cause of this behaviour ? And any idea on how to
solve it ?

Thanks a lot.

Guilhem